Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have just had my scenic 1's engine overhauled and it is smoking a lot and is noisy when it starts almost like a bearing knock but it disappears soon after starting. I notice this noise while driving between buildings as well. can it be the engine because you do not hear it when the car is in neutral. I have returned the car to the garage where it was done a couple of times now and they keep telling me its not the engine and they don't see any smoke.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
43,023 Posts
Are you using oil or water,, ? if so how much...

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,706 Posts
Hi all, I have just had my scenic 1's engine overhauled .
What exactly was itemised on the invoice? Was it a head rebuild? ..... new pistons and rings?......new shells?......etc

·
9,706 Posts
the invoice only showed engine rebuild. the Mechanic said that he sent the head to an engineering company to be rebuild.
ok .... so its just has the head changed and nothing else? What was the reason for this work ..... has the engine done high mileage and valves were worn or burnt? .... or valve damage due to snapped cam belt .... or was it a blown head gasket?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
high milage, the car was starting to lose power especially on climbs. the head was done and as far as i know the piston rings and bearings were changed. the head had been done twice in the last year due to it throwing the rockers off and the belt tensioner that broke.

·
9,706 Posts
Due to the amount of work you've had done I think there are too many possible variables to answer your opening question. Also you say the engine smokes but the garage say it doesn't .... plus you say the knock sound disappears when in neutral so could there be a transmission/brake problem developed too?
Without any video and audio of the issues I think you will have to continue consultation with your garage or find another mechanic to check it out.

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
high milage, the car was starting to lose power especially on climbs. the head was done and as far as i know the piston rings and bearings were changed. the head had been done twice in the last year due to it throwing the rockers off and the belt tensioner that broke.
You are using a lot of very serious words here.

Head done twice in one year?!
Throwing the rockers off?! (On hydraulic lifters and overhead camshaft? - Explain the background in greater detail please!)
Belt tentioner broke?! (In less than one year?!)

If all that work was done by the same person/crowd that now also did the "rebuild" then I would urgently look for a new person/crowd to manage that motor's well-being.:surprise:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts