Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, looking for some info off somebody who is clued up on clio engines.

Ive got a 2001 clio authentique 1.2 8v.

Wanting to switch the engine so ive got a D7F 6 726.

Just wondering if this will be a straight swap for mine, it has a power steering pump on it but mine has electric power steering etc so its beginning to worry me. Will everything else be the same once the power steering pump has been taken off??

please someone reply asap it will be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody know about these engines??

Please let me know asap

anyone???? Im desperate to find out because i need to take the engine back if its not going to fit.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
My guess would be that engine wiring loom, ECU, immobiliser and key would have to be changed with the engine. You cant one type of engine with ecu from another.

Dont take my word for granted, but what i am saying is based on experience (painful). In your case it might be different.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help mate, would i still have to change the Ecu etc even if i got an identical engine???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Desperate engine information.

Hi there, Got a renault clio 1.2 8v Authentique with 108000 on the clock, the engine is starting to sound abit rough, tapping and juddering abit.

Ive managed to source D7f 6 726 engine (1.2 8v), its only done 20,000, a few bits look different like on the air filter on my authentique has like a box. the new engine doesnt have this box, and the new engine has a power steering pump, mine has electric power steering so its not needed.

Im beginning to worry and wonder if ive wasted my money.

Not getting much response on here on my other post so pleeeeeeease write back and let me know, im new to this but was told this was the place to come.

Also do you have to change the ECU ect when replacing an 8v 1.2 with another 8v 1.2.

Please let me know guys i really need your help.

Any info you have will be much appreciated and i can get on with the job when i know for sure.

Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Re: Desperate engine information.

if it's the same engine code, then just take everything off your old engine just leaving the head and block, and stick it on the new one.
Air filters, power steering pumps and brackets, dont matter a toss, as long as the head and block are the same.
Oh, and do the cambelt before it goes back in!

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
no. If engine is identical ( or at least same first 2 characters in the engine id code) you should be fine with original ecu.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks alot for the info. the engine codes are slightly different my current one is the d7f 724 and the new 1 is d7f 726. But the block and head itself looks the same.

Could this cause me a problem with the engine codes not matching??

Or should i be ok,

Yes i will definately be doing the timing on it, had one snap on my old clio was gutted.

Please let me know and i will get on with it this week and let you know how i get on.

thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts

I don't think anyone can say 100%,but I would strongly suspect that the new engine will be compatible.There might be a few detail differences,but these shouldn't prevent the engine fitting your car and working as it should.

You won't have to worry about swapping the ECU's either,so thats one less thing to worry about.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes mate, the code on my current one is D7F 724 and the code on the new one is D7F 726.

Should i be ok with this then??? Just an engine swap over and nothing else??? (All being well)

Let me know and i will let you know how i get on with it this week.

Thanks pal your help is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts

Threads now merged to avoid confusion.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Lagdti - you have confused me more, but hey as long as we provide help when it is needed -its ok.

So we figured out in here that engine is same series and volume. This makes it ok to work with your original ecu.

You should pay attention to 1 thing:
Is clutch or crankshaft holes pattern same or not. If its same - you are good to go.

Good luck and i hope this info/opinion is helpful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Think im going to get it switched over this week then as it sounds promising from what you guys have said.

Vitasik is it easy to check this clutch or crankshaft holes mate???

If so could you explain what im looking for.

Thanks again ppl.

D

·
0 Posts
The D7F is the important bit.
The other 3 numbers *seem* to be model spacific. Ie: 726 could be a clio, and 724 may be a laguna. Obviously (for example) the laguna as standard may have air con and the clio not, so it will have a bracket different to take the air con pump, or a temp sender may be made to operate at a different temperature etc etc.
Take everything (including sensors) off your old engine and swap everything back onto the new engine.
There is a bit of faffing about, but at least then you'll know everything will work.
You may find the flywheels are different too, so check them out before trying to put the gearbox back on!
I always take the head off a 'new to me' engine and check everything out, replace gasket then i know it's going to be ok for a while, but thats up to you.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
If flywheel looks the same - no worries.
Why I mentioned this is because renault have a tenancy to do stupid things like making holes pattern on the crankshaft different depending whether it is for auto gearbox or manual. From codes you provided both engines are for manual gearbox, but its better to be safe than sorry - you never know what else they could have made different.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again for all the much needed information.

Just hope it all goes well now.

I will keep you informed,

If you think off anything else that i may need to check please let me know asap.

Thanks alot everyone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts