Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have yet another heat related problem :crazy: . Here's the thing. About a month ago i was driving up to my mothers house when I saw some steam from under my bonnet. When I got to my mothers house I looked under the hood to find the coolant temperature sensor was clean out of the hole it's supposed to sit in and the rubber o-ring was gone. The clip to hold the sensor was also gone (I think my mechanic never refit it after I got the head done). This is where the steam came from (as the sensor in question sits on the thermostat housing). It was the green sensor which feeds the info to the dash. Oh, it's a MKIII Renault Espace. Now since then I've replaced said clip and a new thermostat and the car was great for all of three days. I was driving around last Sunday with the kids in the car and saw the temp guage went right up to the nine bars. I stopped right away and looked under the bonnet. There was nothing wrong that I could see and the car didn't seem to be over-heating. Got the car (and more importantly the kids) home and decided to have a cup of tea while the car cooled before I looked at it. Well, my cup of tea lasted for over three hours because of the football and when I eventually went out to look at the car, I turned the key and the guage still showing all bars on and "STOP" was showing. I thought this was weird after a three hour break. So decided to leave the car overnight before looking at it again. Woke up the following morning, turned the key and guess what? Still at max!! So ordered both sensors and waiting for them to arrive. I just wanted to ask your thoughts on this? Do you think it's just a faulty sensor? I'm thinking yes because it may have got a knock when it popped out of it's hole. I checked all the wiring and it looks solid. Sorry for the long story :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. Engine is fine. I changed both the sensors and the error is no more. I now have a leak in the thermostat housing. I'm sick of this car. I will never ever buy a Renault again. It has to be the most unreliable car I've ever owned. Every part of me was screaming "don't buy it". I wish I listened.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No. Engine is fine. I changed both the sensors and the error is no more. I now have a leak in the thermostat housing. I'm sick of this car. I will never ever buy a Renault again. It has to be the most unreliable carver I've ever owned. Every part of me was screaming "don't buy it". I wish I listened.
I know what your saying.I brought my espace in march and have been thinking (Why oh why) to myself ever since :(, Ive got a dodgy temp gauge but mines perverted it just keeps flashing at me,bled system,have got a new sensor yesterday which renault say may be the cause,not fitted it yet but the one they give me sits on side of water pump houses its black,but im now thinking by what you said i may need the green one with the white cap if thats the one that feeds the dash info?! :confused:

Good luck in sorting yours out! :crazy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts