Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, Just got the timing belt change kit done. The motor seems to have lost a bit of it's zip when driving off but we'll see over the next couple of days. On the invoice there is a couple of advisory comments, the one I am looking for help on is the "Engine Tie Bar worn".
Anybody tell me where this is or if possible, have a photo of the part?

The car is a Megane 1.4 Expression petrol on a "Y" plate.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
Could look like this.
Runs alongside gear lever rod at the back of engine.
The bushes wear out on them and cause the engine to rock.
Mine looked fairly new but still had quite a bit of movement in it.
You might just notice that the holes in the rubber bush on mine have been filled in with strips of lead then bent over to keep them in place.
It takes most of the rock out of the engine and makes driving much smoother. Stops the gear lever from bouncing around in your hand.
Other people have their own methods of doing it but it has worked well for me.
And it passed the MOT!
Note to self- must de-rust gear lever rod.

003.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lancs Dave, Makes sense now as my engine rocks about like crazy. I thought it was a quirk of the Megane. I'll check it out this weekend.

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Lancs Dave, Makes sense now as my engine rocks about like crazy. I thought it was a quirk of the Megane. I'll check it out this weekend.

Cheers
Im confused my gear sticks moving and ur saying check the mount on gear box but then ppl are uploading pics of a engine mount are you sure we on the same wave length here ?? (Newbie)

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
Not quite sure where the confusion lies.

The rear gearbox mounting/tie bar/dogbone mount or whatever you care to call it, limits the swinging effect that happens to the engine/transmission unit as you accelerate/decelerate.

The main job of the moutings on the top of the gearbox and engine is to stop it dropping on the floor.
If worn, these can also allow movement that may affect the gearchange but the main culprit is the one you see in the picture that fastens between the body and gearbox under the car.

There are a few variants of the mounting and the way it fastens to the vehicle depending on model/year/engine ect. They all do a similar job.

Hope that helps clear the confusion.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Changed the dog bone/ lower gearbox mounting on the GF's Megane convertible today a new delivered cost me £14 which I didn't think was a bad price.

I have messed about and made new solid bushes in the past.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
How easy or otherwise was it to do ?
This one was really easy just undid the 2 bolts and swapped the old dog bone for the new one. The engine pushes backwards / forwards easily to get the bolts back through the dog bone. It probably took me longer getting the car on and off the axle stands than changing the dog bone.

That said I have had them where you have to knock the dog bone in and out of it's mounting points with a mallot but they are not usually very tight. I did have one on a Scenic where I had to cut through one of the bolts through with a hacksaw as the bolt had rusted into the steel liner in one the rubber bushes which kept spinning around and I couldn't knock the bolt through..! to get the dog bone off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This one was really easy just undid the 2 bolts and swapped the old dog bone for the new one. The engine pushes backwards / forwards easily to get the bolts back through the dog bone. It probably took me longer getting the car on and off the axle stands than changing the dog bone.

That said I have had them where you have to knock the dog bone in and out of it's mounting points with a mallot but they are not usually very tight. I did have one on a Scenic where I had to cut through one of the bolts through with a hacksaw as the bolt had rusted into the steel liner in one the rubber bushes which kept spinning around and I couldn't knock the bolt through..! to get the dog bone off.
Had this replaced tonight , massive difference . The old one was really pretty knackered , car feels miles better :d

1 - 9 of 9 Posts