Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've a 1989 trafic t1000 1.7 petrol Campervan unfortunatly the old dear needs a new engine. I would gladly welcome any input as what to replace it with ta

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,257 Posts

Have a gut feeling that this engine was fitted in the 80's Volvo 1.7 3 series cars..
If the camper has the 1721cc engine its the same as the volvo ... or R5 ... or R19 ... or R21

I thought the '89 camper had the 1687cc (?) engine commonly referred to as the 1.6 ?

·
9,257 Posts
What's up with the old engine?
Seems the days of reconditioning an engine are over considering the number of times this question has arisen. But these Trafics are getting rare to find ... its not worth the scrappers space in the yard to hang onto them anymore.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems the days of reconditioning an engine are over considering the number of times this question has arisen. But these Trafics are getting rare to find ... its not worth the scrappers space in the yard to hang onto them anymore.
It's a long story but it got over heated a few times...my mechanic left the head gasket with engineer but he says the engine block is warped and a new engine is the only answer. Funny enough although it s 1.7 on tax book mechanic said it was a 1.6 engine????
It's along

·
9,257 Posts
It's a long story but it got over heated a few times...my mechanic left the head gasket with engineer but he says the engine block is warped and a new engine is the only answer. Funny enough although it s 1.7 on tax book mechanic said it was a 1.6 engine????
Can the block warp?? Its often the head that warps but I'd be interested to hear others advice.

Easy answer to engine size ... 1.7 has electronic ignition ... 1.6 has points .... so have a look under the distributor cap.
Also 1.7 has Solex carb ... 1.6 has Zenith carb.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,754 Posts
Must admit, never heard of a block warping.
Cracking, bore wear, con rod through the side, many issues but never warping.
Heads can normally be skimmed.
No reason why a block couldn't if the HG face is bowed but I'd like a second opinion if that was the thought.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can the block warp?? Its often the head that warps but I'd be interested to hear others advice.

Easy answer to engine size ... 1.7 has electronic ignition ... 1.6 has points .... so have a look under the distributor cap.
Also 1.7 has Solex carb ... 1.6 has Zenith carb.
Must admit, never heard of a block warping.
Cracking, bore wear, con rod through the side, many issues but never warping.
Heads can normally be skimmed.
No reason why a block couldn't if the HG face is bowed but I'd like a second opinion if that was the thought.
the head was skimmed etc but I'll put your thoughts to mechanic about the block. Thanks for your replies
Hopefully there will be away forward with the van ta.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,754 Posts
I would be asking for what he means by warped?
He is the guy looking at it, presumably measured it.
And I don't know everything, just never heard of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts