Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please could anyone give me some advice.
I have a renault megane estate 1.9Dci 08 with 34,000 miles which has developed a whining noise coming from drivers side. I was hoping to advertise this for sale asap but want to get the noise sorted out first.
Could it be something to do with the alternator...if so what is involved, can I get a spray or something as my daughters fiesta had an alternator noise and we fixed it with a spray of lubricant specifically for alternators.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Please could anyone give me some advice.
I have a renault megane estate 1.9Dci 08 with 34,000 miles which has developed a whining noise coming from drivers side. I was hoping to advertise this for sale asap but want to get the noise sorted out first.
Could it be something to do with the alternator...if so what is involved, can I get a spray or something as my daughters fiesta had an alternator noise and we fixed it with a spray of lubricant specifically for alternators.
Thanks for any help.
Hi where abouts is it coming from under the bonnet or closer to the wheels. Is it al of the time, does it change with speed? Tj

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The noise is coming from the engine. Can't hear it when the car is stationery. Yes it does change with speed, worse up to 40 mph then eases off. Sometimes it is not as audible as others. Worse when the engine is cold. If I put the radio on I can't hear it!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi again, to pinpoint the altenator get someone to rev the engine while you have a listen under the bonnet, it should be obvious if it is the altenator from here, however if you dont have a noise then it would point towards something else. A whine from altenator is usually bearings, a squeel is usually the belt. Tj

1 - 5 of 5 Posts