Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting one here.
On a lengthy drive yesterday I stopped at a filling station after 80 miles to get supplies. I turned the key to stop the engine and pulled the key out but the engine was still running. It just wouldn't stop unless I stalled the engine.
This problem appears to remain a permanent feature now.
Any ideas?

Cheers

Pete.

R

·
0 Posts
Sounds like the stop solenoid valve on the diesel pump is probably faulty could well be the rubber on the end of the stop plunger has split and is still letting fuel through?

D

·
0 Posts
Ah, ok a relatively simple one to explain then.

Will be the stop solenoid on the diesel injector pump. They are easy enough to change, unless the car has a built in immobiliser.

If you can get to it, there will be 1 single wire going to the pump. If you pull that off the car shouldn't run. if it does, then it's definately the solenoid.

If it has immobiliser, then you have 3 options:
1) be completely stung by renault to have a new stop solenoid fitted, which involves making a mess of the old immobiliser circuitry on the pump, changing solenoid, fitting new immobiliser circuit, then coding.
2)Smash the circuit off the immobiliser (it's all held on with shear bolts and hardened steel inside a plasctic box) so you can get to the stop solenoid, change it, and just run a switched 12v live to it. Immobiliser wont work, but can will start and stop on the key.
3) Live with it!

I know peugeot used a different type of pump on the later models which i don't think you can do the 'botch' trick to, so hopefully yours will be the way detailed above.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. So it's not a simple swap part then?
Looks like I'll have to live with it then?:d

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a replacement solenoid but I don't have a socket big enough to fit it. What size of socket do I need?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont bloody believe it. I went to fit the new solenoid and the plunger and spring fell into the engine bay. I recovered the plunger but not the spring. Sth spring from the old solenoid feels a little too tight to fit in the new plunger.
Before I spend another 20 quid on a solenoid i take it when the key is turned and the car is running i should be getting 12 volts at the solenoid and 0 volts whrn turned off?

R

·
0 Posts
I would say that's right it needs to be energised to be open so 12 volts with ignition on.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Yep,it gets a 12 volt feed when engine is started/ignition on and then 0v when engine is switched off.

It can be a pain to get them back into place due to the spring/plunger coming out as you have found.Theres a bit of a knack to fitting them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts