Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY pain in the **** Grand Scenic is really trying to get crushed... After busting cam belt before christmas and I fixed it... it's now come up with a dead EPB - dash switch is still powered but even when performing a reset several times (both switch and ODBII) there is no sound from rear motor.

visually through wheel rear pads still ok.

too wet / cold and ill, to look today but is there a fuse i can check first?

had 9 codes referring to epb now 3 basically - epb electronic internal error , lever pulled and outside operation limits.

might just drive it till warmer weather / mot due ..... and use 1st gear as brake... I do live in Norfolk the 'flatest' county.

Reactions: peterbasse2002

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,428 Posts
There will be fuses mate, if no joy of the members who understand/worked on the systems, will get the diagram up.
But never had to work on one, as regards faults, so only info I could throw out is how replace the pads,discs ( done that on them).
(Can decipher the codes, should you need that info)
Sure DD, and Nottnoc will advice, they both seem to have had issues,

·
Super Moderator
9,213 Posts
Do a Forum Search, THERE IS A THREAD.
Two common EPB Failures.
A) Blue Relay
B) Motor Itself.
Have had EPB faults, But NEVER the box, Both been external sensors.
Re thread, I'll get back to you.
Here's a substitute:laugh:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
codes

DF043 Parking brake internal electronic fault

DF046 Brake cables / motor link, parking brake unlocked by emergency handle

DF049 Apply, nominal application value not reached

no amount of ODBII resets and manual motor reset via dash switch would bring back any life to EPB - dead as a dodo...

upon removing passenger front seat lower drawer to access fuse and relay for EPB the large (under seat) Relay was very warm!! basically to me this confirms EPB motor failure / dead short of motor - PROMPTLY removed white 25amp mini blade fuse to stop power and any fire risk / further damage to wiring and relays (big under seat / small inside EPB on circuit board

Will be removing and striping down in due course as too wet / ill and lack of time this weekend gone.

plan of action - check EPB and replace motor (if the fault) with the £60 replacement available online (bluechip) and if need be replace small relay on EPB circuit board. check handbrake cables to calipers for free movement and cracks to outer casings as on G Scenic the one routed over exhaust fails...

from what i can deduct from online searches a s/h EPB will work but you can not reprogram the VIN, and so you need to find a exact same version (there's 2 apparently) and model or use a Can clip to change the Model / trim level etc to match your car. Vin mismatch supposedly not a problem

I know the 5 seat Scenic uses a single cable EPB split at a slider to 2 h/b cables/calipers and the 7 seat G Scenic uses a 2 cables from EPB to calipers.

Also looks like Espace/Laguna shares a similar EPB and just uses different housing / cables

Anyway unless mine is totally fried will be repairing, so should have less problems and tbh £60 for motor is half price of s/h units...

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,887 Posts
I know the 5 seat Scenic uses a single cable EPB split at a slider to 2 h/b cables/calipers and the 7 seat G Scenic uses a 2 cables from EPB to calipers. I'm ASSUMING this is the two versions of EPB but could be wrong....
Mechanically the same unit
Except on the single cable version, the second cable is internal, fixed to the end.
Housing and mounting varies but is the same basic unit.
Electronically, dunno.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mechanically the same unit
Except on the single cable version, the second cable is internal, fixed to the end.
Housing and mounting varies but is the same basic unit.
Electronically, dunno.
good to know hopefully pulling fuse has saved my circuit board relay from blowing / bubbling up.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bough a Picasso to run around in when repairing scenic, only plus side of this is I now realise the Scenic could be like a Picasso! - picasso's the most beige car since the Allegro....

·
Super Moderator
9,213 Posts
Bough a Picasso to run around in when repairing scenic, only plus side of this is I now realise the Scenic could be like a Picasso! - picasso's the most beige car since the Allegro....
But NO Quartic steering wheel :smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But NO Quartic steering wheel :smile2:
on Allegro its crank thrust bearing failed coming back from camber sands, kent, crunched the box no clutch all way round M25 and M11 to home (at time) in Harlow, with trailer tent on back + 3 kids, a dog and the wife (now ex).

Parked it up outside house for a few weeks to deciding to repair or not and the 'PIKEYS' nicked the damn thing!! Gave Police the reg of Hiab lorry and they refused to go to the travellers camp to investigate, found it myself in local scrappy a few days later, again police not interested but at least insurance paid out!

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well yanked the EPB brake unit off car really is a 10-15 min job, not cracked it open yet to see internal damage, but externally both h/brake cables are u/s and the release cable.... although operates via boot has a broken / snapped outer plastic end where cable enters epb box, pricing up new box vs repair now...

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well yanked the EPB brake unit off car really is a 10-15 min job, not cracked it open yet to see internal damage, but externally both h/brake cables are u/s and the release cable.... although operates via boot has a broken / snapped outer plastic end where cable enters epb box, pricing up new box vs repair now...
will rephrase that! only one handbrake cable u/s (other not moving due to motor jammed) motor jammed due to brush failure (well worn away, so copper housing fell out)

cable £33 and motor £60 both ordered - the release cable works fine so encased plastic end in epoxy and self amalgamating tape to repair.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
motor here, slightly different design as no OEM but has same number of teeth and spacing so seems good to go!

Attachments

Reactions: Dancingdad

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well will be fitting recon EPB tomorrow weather permitting as cable from France came today, total cost to repair £93 ( 60 for motor and 33 for 1x cable ) sure beats the £420+vat and £95+vat programming Renault wanted to charge.

anyone considering repairing a EPB I can provide links to the parts needed as took some tracking down, but tbh google is your friend.

Also ordered the other cable from same supplier a ( french seller) on U.K eBay, who was out of stock on eBay.co.uk but pointed me to their listing on eBay.pl correct cable and same GBP price and sent from France... beats the price of U.K sellers by £20 ....

same with motor 5 mins on phone talking to Welsh company who repair EPB's and got the motor £25 cheaper than it sells for online... plus he pointed out common things to look for and said even though they haven't done work, give him a call for advice, if stuck doing recon of EPB or unsure of anything, they also supply fitting instructions with motor. So I will do some shameless naming of them as a thank you - blue chip autotronics / parkingbrakerepair.com

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE: EPB fixed, refitted + cable and working fine, refitted fuse under passenger seat drawer - it beeped that handbrake off, operated manual lever twice as didn't apply 1st time, all worked fine on/off. believe switch was out of sync to hand brake position once did to OFF then back to ON it engaged.

So put wheels back on lowered to ground and tested auto on/off and this worked fine too, did a 20 mile trip to test handbrake - use at every stop applied fine and auto released on pulling away, also comes on automatically when parked so can say FIXED for £93 and about 4 hrs work inc removal refitting and repair unit on bench.:grin2:

Also did NOT have to do any service light / code reset with my scanner or resync / reset just plugged in and it sorted itself.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Full pdf file now then please, 0:)explaining , where to jack, what tools needed..>:)
What pitfalls, if any to be aware of..:grin2:
Lol will see what i can type up over weekend

Reactions: ours2012

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Question for Scenic II owners do they have Hill start Assist? as in Anti roll back? - I live in Norfolk so as we are quite FLAT landscape wise and never needed or noticed if it does.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,887 Posts
Question for Scenic II owners do they have Hill start Assist? as in Anti roll back? - I live in Norfolk so as we are quite FLAT landscape wise and never needed or noticed if it does.
Only if EPB is applied.

There is an inclinometer within the unit.
Measures the angle of hill when applying brake and uses appropriate force to hold.
Uses as part of judgement when to release along with clutch and throttle position.
It does work well in that respect

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Only if EPB is applied.

There is an inclinometer within the unit.
Measures the angle of hill when applying brake and uses appropriate force to hold.
Uses as part of judgement when to release along with clutch and throttle position.
It does work well in that respect
oh.... we have a steep hill in Norwich called Gas Hill I can test on, so might go for a drive when it's quiet sunday night. its quite deceptive as its between 10% to 20% incline, it increases at the 2nd lamppost at top, just have to look out for the Lycra losers doing 300m timed events up it.....

I've included credit for the photo to avoid copyright issues and could the mod(s) amend title to EPB Dead ** FIXED **

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.