Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologise if this question has been put in the wrong forum as its my first post here...

anyway, i have a laguna 1.9dci tourer with 180,000miles and it still runs sweet until today, when i was overtaking a car and the accelerator pedal stuck down when i reached 3500rpm. i immediatly dipped my clutch so as not to run into the next car and the revs went to redline and the engine screamed its nuts off, then just as quick the revs came back down to normal and the car has driven fine ever since and it pulls ok. i first thought it was the turbo but there was no smoke and it pulls just as it did before.
one thing that does happen is when parked up afterwards i reved the engine upto 3500rpm and again the accelerator stuck and screamed the engine on its own then came back down to where it should be....could it be a vacuum problem?....
can some one shed any light on the problem....many thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Has it lost any oil at all?.

It does sound as though the engine is 'running away' on it's own oil,but that doesn't usually stop on it's own.It could be a blocked engine breather system,it has a catch unit for oil from the breathers and the drain for this can block sending oil into the turbo intake,this would explain why it only revs up for a few seconds as the unit empties it's self and the engine returns to normal.

If the turbo and breathers seem OK,then it could be a faulty throttle position sensor (checking the live data on a decent scanner would confirm this).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has it lost any oil at all?.

It does sound as though the engine is 'running away' on it's own oil,but that doesn't usually stop on it's own.It could be a blocked engine breather system,it has a catch unit for oil from the breathers and the drain for this can block sending oil into the turbo intake,this would explain why it only revs up for a few seconds as the unit empties it's self and the engine returns to normal.

If the turbo and breathers seem OK,then it could be a faulty throttle position sensor (checking the live data on a decent scanner would confirm this).
thanks for the reply lagdti...
its not loosing any oil but just prior to this happening i disconected a cylinder type thing at the front of the engine where the dipstick slots into, sorry i dont know what its called, the reason i disconected was that the rubber pipe connected to the bottom was leaking oil slightly so i wanted to clean it up and cable tie the pipe..would this be the reason for the eratic accelerating? also
could you tell me where the turbo breather pipe is?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The oil catch unit is part of the black plastic item in which the dipstick goes into,if you completely remove it (from memory it's held in with two 10mm bolts) you will probably find that the return to the sump is blocked.The breather system 're-burns' all the fumes from the inside of the crankcase,this is feed through the catch tank (to prevent oil from being sucked into the intake system) and then on to the plastic air intake pipe which fits directly on to the intake of the turbo (the plastic hose that runs from the air flow meter).What should happen is that the catch unit should allow the oil in the breather system to return to the sump,but what can happen (especially as yours is a high mileage car) is the return pipe to the sump can block which means that the unit fills with oil which then goes into the turbo and gets blown into the inlet manifold.

You need to remove the oil catch unit,clean it out (including all the pipework coming from it) and then check the return pipe,it should all become clear when you have it apart.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The oil catch unit is part of the black plastic item in which the dipstick goes into,if you completely remove it (from memory it's held in with two 10mm bolts) you will probably find that the return to the sump is blocked.The breather system 're-burns' all the fumes from the inside of the crankcase,this is feed through the catch tank (to prevent oil from being sucked into the intake system) and then on to the plastic air intake pipe which fits directly on to the intake of the turbo (the plastic hose that runs from the air flow meter).What should happen is that the catch unit should allow the oil in the breather system to return to the sump,but what can happen (especially as yours is a high mileage car) is the return pipe to the sump can block which means that the unit fills with oil which then goes into the turbo and gets blown into the inlet manifold.

You need to remove the oil catch unit,clean it out (including all the pipework coming from it) and then check the return pipe,it should all become clear when you have it apart.:)
ah! i got it now, what you said now makes sense, as i removed the unit i didnt look or clear down that pipe hence why it was leaking oil in the first place...man ur good:d...my question now is, would this have made any damage to the turbo as its only done it twice?...
i'll remove the whole unit again tmoz and make sure all is cleaned and cleared.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
You should be OK,it won't have done either the engine or turbo any favours but all should be well.:)

Good luck,let us know how you get on and what you find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
this sounds just the same as the problem with my 1.5dci kangoo van but my van dont rev all the way to the red line at first i thought is was clutch slip but it does not slip on a hill or if i drop the clutch while in 5th gear with the handbreak on.
is there a oil breather pipe on my 1.5dci engine???
if so where is it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts