Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a Renault Megane 1.4 16 valve Fidji 52 plate Mk1 phase2.

My car had an erratic idle and we put it on a computer at a garage and it only came up with a faulty Lambda sensor, so i changed the sensor and it still idles erratically, so the next thing i tryed was cleaning the idle control valve out which i was advised to do by a Renault dealership and i tested all of my ignition coils, that did not help so i changed the air filter to no avail.

My car is still idling erratically, is there anything else i should check, bare in mind i have limited knowledge on car engines..... Much appreciate any help :d

O

·
0 Posts
Erratic Idle? Wasn't he in Monthy Python? :d

When you say erratic, what is happening? Is it revving up and down, missing a beat, popping from the exhaust? Does the engine wobble?

How did you check the coils?

Did you have a look at the spark plug condition?

Questions, questions, but the more information the better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL!!

When it is Erratic the revs mainly drop and in most cases stall, this only happens when first starting the car...Its ok when warm but the engine does wobble alot when at lights (common renault engine wobble).

I checked the coils by pulling the cables out when the engine is running, i know its dangerous but i know when not to stick my finger on a live wire lol. The engine struggles when unplugging them one at a time tho not all at once.

Not checked plugs yet will do that this weekend and i may also check cam shaft sensor too.

O

·
0 Posts
I think the coils are paired, so pulling the wires will not indicate which one is faulty.

If it's only when cold, it sounds more like mixture. The air/fuel mix is being changed frequently by the ECU trying to keep up with the messages it's getting from sensors.

Try looking at the plugs before the engine has warmed up and again once it has warmed up. See if that tells you anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts