Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I am new to this site, and not a mechanic. Have just had this message up on the screen (in French as that is where I am) The throttle does not appear to be normal, (fits and starts) full at the slightest touch and slows quickly when letting up. Just been told by domestic management the little symbol also there is the cat converter. This was replaced by the Renault garage here about two years back, as well as the manifold, and complete exhaust system. About 1100€.I have not had any excessive oil usage since.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Any chance of some details, like model, year, engine??? Why did you have to have the cat and manifold replaced? You need to go and get it plugged into to read the codes and see what the cause is

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any chance of some details, like model, year, engine??? Why did you have to have the cat and manifold replaced? You need to go and get it plugged into to read the codes and see what the cause is
Hi again, error code p038. This is from my neighbour with his small diagnostic tool. He cleared the code and the car is at the moment running ok again.
The car is a Modus, 1.2l 16v, 2005. Low milage, 37,000miles.
As to your question, long story. I bought this car from Renault garage in St Junien, France. 3 months warranty. It was using a LOT of oil, but they fobbed me of with the tale that would use oil as it is high performance engine. When it was just inside my guarantee I complained to the Renault backup, who collected it and sent it to the main service dept in Limoges. They had it for 6 weeks.. We then had a loan car the rest of the time. I had 3 new pistons cam belt and many other parts, cost the sales dept about 3000€. I was given a written warranty for one year, and just inside this year, the car started misfiring so I took it in with my letter from the manager, which turned out to be not worth a light! Back it went to Limoges, where they replace the cat converter, then manifold, then the entire exhaust system. All this was because of the high oil usage previously mentioned. No it was not covered by his letter od warranty. This cost me 1100€. I have never been back!! To be fair, it has not used oil, and has given me much good service since.
End of saga until now with the error code problem which I hope will stay gone.
Thanks for your interest
Wilf

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,583 Posts
Front Lambda ( Oxygen sensor )
If the light comes back on, then either change the sensor, or get a better diagnostics tool and check other errors..
Your friends diagnostic machine wont be good enough, if all it checks are EOBD codes..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts