Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could help me, I have and 05 plate Espace with a leak comming from the middle of the car. Husband thinks its oil, possibly from the gearbox (manual car). Gears are slightly dodgy to change, and when I put it in reverse the cabin seems to get a horrible cherry smell?? ( I am the only one to smell this so it may be a red herring!!)
Could anyone possibly help me with what it could be? and if I should be driving the car? (which im not just if it needs to go to a garage should i drive it or get it towed?)
Cheers :)

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
First of all check the engine oil level at the dipstick with the engine warm - it should be around halfway between min and max. If it is low, top it up before proceeding any further.

Also try to get a feel for how quickly you are losing fluid (oil or whatever) by placing newspaper under the car, if it is only a slow drip that's not too bad but a fast drip drip drip or steady stream is more serious.

Also check the level of the brake fluid at the reservoir. Some cars use a combined brake and clutch reservoir, brake fluid can have a slightly sweet sticky smell and it's difficult to identify fluids by sight once they have run down the side of your engine. A leaky clutch slave cylinder might I say again might account for your symptoms. Generally the outlet pipe for the clutch is higher up the reservoir than the brake pipe, so a leak will always affect the clutch before affecting the brakes.

Again if the fluid level is good, you should be Ok to drive.

If it is gearbox oil there isn't much you can do as they are not easy for the home user to check or top up. However, without prejudice, you should be OK for a short trip to a local garage to get it checked.

It would be unusual to say the least for a gearbox to leak in only one gear !

Hope that helps.

Marv

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My engine oil is OK its 3/4 full, It is a constant drip, not fast or slow just constant, and im away outside now to check my brake fluid level!! lol Its a bit squiffy going into all gears but the smellonly penetrates the cabin in reverse ( I did have the window down and was only driving it back and forward in the drive!!) :) Thanks for the advice ill let you know when its been diagnosed/fixed! ( would have to happen on easter weekend during the holidays when i have the kids off school, sod law tho eh?)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it may possibly be the Power Steering Fluid. Its yellowish and smells like PSF so fingers crossed ive found the problem..... now how do you fix it? :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1.9 Espace with a leak possibly Power Steering Fluid?

Hello
I have a leak under the middle of my car it looks and smells like Power Steering Fluid, is there any way to fix it myself?
Cheers! :)

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Ah yes, that would make sense, although of course unrelated to your gearchange problem.

Fixing the leak will involve trying to find where the fluid is leaking from, and you can bet it won't be anywhere easily accessible. It is probably finding its way past a seal. If you can't immediately see where it's coming from, but it appears to be under the engine, then my guess would be the steering rack.

If you keep it topped up you "should" be OK to drive to a garage, with the slight risk that the steering could get very heavy. But as with anything steering or brakes related, best not to take any unnecessary risks. I would call the AA / RAC if you are a member and see if they'll tow you or follow you to the garage.

Marv

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Power steering fluid is red,not yellow so you might be dissapearing down the wrong path again.

You need to get under the car (ideally on a ramp) to see exactly where the leak is coming from,otherwise you are playing an expensive guessing game.It sounds to me like it's gearbox oil,you'd notice if the steering fluid was leaking as eventually the steering will go hard and the pump will start to make some nasty noises.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I believe some brands of PSF are clear or amber colour, or brown if old. Others are pink or red. However, agree with lagdti about getting someone to take a proper look.

Marv

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our PSF is a yellow colour, but alas it seems this is not the problem:( Hubbys been under the car, (no easy thing when you dont have a ramp!) and unscrewed the large metal flap and its oil mainly comming from the left but seems to be everywhere :( Im going to get someone I know who is a home mechanic round for a look on Monday/Tuesday hopefully, fingers crossed its not a costly repair :eek:
Cheers for the help its nice to know there are people out there who will help a damsel in distress :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Sounds as though the nearside inner CV gaiter is leaking,I guess it's a 6 speed manual (PK6 box) and these can be fragile at the best of times let alone running low on oil so I wouldn't use the car until it's been sorted.Make sure your mechanic knows the procedure on how to refill the box correctly,you should never fill them up until the oil runs out of the filler plug unlike on other boxes,from memory it will take 2.4 litres of oil and that is it.

Good luck and let us know how get on.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey just a wee update to let you know the leak has stopped as has the smell?? The mechanic let us down and now im ill so it looks like another week in the drive for the trusty, reliable Espace

1 - 14 of 14 Posts