Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I've checked, rechecked and checked again. The white timing lines on the belt are 2 teeth out when I have the camshaft sprocket and crank sprockets lined up correctly with their timing marks. Any thoughts? I've just replaced the head gasket and all 8 valves due to a belt failure and thought I was on the home straight!
Thanks.
Torq

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,939 Posts
Are you 100% certain the belt is the right one, first
If you are certain your timing and belt are correct, then ignore the lines.
There should also be a number on the gates belt, telling you how many teeth are on the belt,.
Check this with the amount of teeth on your original belt.
If happy, only then carry on.
Are you fitting the belt with arrows/writing following direction of rotation, as this is a MUST.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you 100% certain the belt is the right one, first
If you are certain your timing and belt are correct, then ignore the lines.
There should also be a number on the gates belt, telling you how many teeth are on the belt,.
Check this with the amount of teeth on your original belt.
If happy, only then carry on.
Are you fitting the belt with arrows/writing following direction of rotation, as this is a MUST.

Belt is correct, it was x referenced against the gates website.
Don't have the original belt anymore as it went in the bin a long time ago.
Direction is correct.

I will admit that since writing the original post I can now account for the timing being 1/2 a tooth out which had me doubting that I was reading the marks correctly. The key on the cam sprocket has sheared off. Still doesn't explain the belt marks being off.

Once I have the new sprocket I'll time it all up and take it from there again!

T

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,939 Posts
It cross references over with other manufacturers , 132 teeth 26mm wide
You have got the crank locked correctly, as the crank pointer/slot, is off centre.
There could also be a mark on the crank pulley.,

Any chance of a photo, of crank and cam pulleys, where you have set them for your timing

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,843 Posts
Call me paranoiac but whenever I change a part on a car, I put old against new and double check.
Been known to count teeth on cam belts as well.
Even if it is stamped on the belt.
Not found one wrong but parts are labelled or packed wrongly all the time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem solved!

Timing marks on the belt now line up perfectly. The cause? There were 2 reasons for the issue.

1. The sheared key on the camshaft pulley pushed the timing out as the sprocket had moved. My new sprocket arrived today from Lithuania in only a couple of days!

2. Trust! Never trust timing marks made by previous mechanics!!

As Renault in their wisdom haven't put a proper timing mark on the metal plate behind the cam pulley it's up to us to mark them but as the belt was broken I was unable to verify the previous mechanics marks were correct, they weren't!! I think they had just made random marks and used them to fit the last belt. So I timed the belt using the pulleys and the belt indicators. Then when the belt cover was refitted and the crank pulley correctly positioned, the cam marker is visible in the cover cutout.

Success and a lesson learned!

T

·
Super Moderator
13,667 Posts
Thanks for letting us Know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts