Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have just got a 1999 espace with 2.0 16v engine the compression is only 4 bar on all cylinders.after looking at timing belt i noticed dephaser had alot of movement. is this normal ? i would also like to no how to set timing i can see how to lock the cams but not how to lock the crank at tdc. any help would be appreciated. thanks lee:(

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

There is a blanking bolt in the front of the block near the gearbox joint which needs to be removed and then a locking pin can be inserted into the crank.You need the locking kit to remove the belt,the bottom pulleys aren't key wayed to the crank and if the crank isn't held in position the timing can slip without you realising it.

I wouldn't have said that the dephaser would throw the timing out far enough for the engine not to start,the pulley on mine was fubar'd but it still started and ran OK.

Did the engine cut out whilst driving or did it just not start suddenly?.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks for a quick answer i have now removed the belt and dephaser. i have took the dephaser apart and its all collapsed inside. i have not locked the crank before removing the belt i was thinking it would be ok to set it up when putting back together. thanks again lee

ps as far as i no the engine just cut out the dephaser had alot of movent letting inlet cam move by about 3 teeth

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

There is a blanking bolt in the front of the block near the gearbox joint which needs to be removed and then a locking pin can be inserted into the crank.You need the locking kit to remove the belt,the bottom pulleys aren't key wayed to the crank and if the crank isn't held in position the timing can slip without you realising it.

I wouldn't have said that the dephaser would throw the timing out far enough for the engine not to start,the pulley on mine was fubar'd but it still started and ran OK.

Did the engine cut out whilst driving or did it just not start suddenly?.
item number

would this crank/cam lockiing set be the right one i found it on ebay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lee
I bought a G/Espace about a couple of monthes ago and I how have the dephaser problem,:crazy: (quiet to start when cold then warms up and I have a diesel and lucky if it is doing 22mpg gentle cruising):eek:. I hope your is now fixed, how big a job is it, not done cam belt before though i'm a reasonable diy mechanic. Great photo now we can see whats on the inside of this iffy renault designed pulley.:confused:
Glenn

G

·
item number

would this crank/cam lockiing set be the right one i found it on ebay
Yes that will do though you don't need all those setting tools for your engine. So you might be able to get a cheaper setting tool kit with just the TDC setting pin an cam locking tool.

You still have one vane intact so maybe the de-phaser hasn't moved to far to let the valves hit the pistons.

G

·
Lee
I bought a G/Espace about a couple of monthes ago and I how have the dephaser problem,:crazy: (quiet to start when cold then warms up and I have a diesel and lucky if it is doing 22mpg gentle cruising):eek:. I hope your is now fixed, how big a job is it, not done cam belt before though i'm a reasonable diy mechanic. Great photo now we can see whats on the inside of this iffy renault designed pulley.:confused:
Glenn
They are quite a piece of precision engineering made to some very tight tolerances though sadly not robust enough for the task.

Removing the pulleys can be a bit of a challenge as they can take some undoing and you really need to restrain the pulleys with a special tool for undoing the retaining nut on the exhaust cam and bolt on the de-phaser pulley

G

·
I would remove and check the dephaser solenoid valve. If you use a small screw driver you should find the little bobbin valve inside should move freely.

I have been working on a 1.8 Laguna engine with a badly damaged dephaser pulley not quite as bad as the one subject of this thread.

When I checked the dephaser solenoid earlier today I found the bobbin valve was jammed. The center port holes have damage round the outside edges not very clear in the photo and there was a piece of metal inside jamming up the valve.

The bearing surface adjacent to the pulley was badly scored so the piece of metal has worked it's way through the cam shaft and the oil way in the cylinder head to end up at the dephaser solenoid. So it would be prudent to put some rag down the solenoid valve hole and then blow out with an airline

G

·
try this kit or as Recycled Scenic i made a kit at a cost of a fiver with some help with pictures and info from Recycled Scenic
the kit is not a bad price
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110673769680&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Ron
Yes the price isn't bad but unfortunately what no one tells you with that kit and others like it being sold on Fleabay and other internet tool sites the cam sprocket tool is only suitable for the 1.4 K4J and 1.6 K4M engines

The 1.4 & 1.6 share the same cylinder heads as do the 1.8 F4P & 2.0 F4R engines. The cam shaft lift is different on the 1.8 & 2.0 I don't know about the 1.4 & 1.6 engines ?

The distance between the cam shafts is slightly different as the larger size engine cylinder heads are slightly wider and the location studs are placed differently as well so you can't use the same sprocket locking tool on all 4 engines. The cam shaft locking tool does all 4 engines.

This the type of cam sprocket tool needed for the 1.8 & 2.0 engines are like these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sealey-Engine...iagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1c15f8b4cc

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sealey-Camsha...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a08ced5e0

Here a 1.4 K4J and a 2.0 F4R cylinder head side by side 1.4 is on the left. The 2.0 is unusual in that it doesn't have VVT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.