Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I recently acquired a 2004 Espace 2.0T as a project, I have run out of research options and was hoping someone on the forum could help me? The issue is that I have only been able to get it to run on 2 cylinders, the wiring loom to the coils has been butchered up and I am sure its this that is the problem, I have 2 Orange Wires & 2 Brown, one of the brown wires is a 12V live at ignition on. I have read the previous thread about 1&4, 2&3 being linked but does anyone know what order the other loom wires connect in? Or should there be 2 live feeds and this is the issue? I can get 1&4 firing or 2&3 by changing the connection sequence but not firing on all 4....any Help would be greatly appreciated :smile2:

Thanks
Darren

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Marcdale, will take some tonight when I get home, with the OBD plugged in I get the Random miss fire code P0300

Thanks Darren

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Hi Marcdale, will take some tonight when I get home, with the OBD plugged in I get the Random miss fire code P0300

Thanks Darren
Ok, great. If there is no other codes that might be confirming that the wiring is your only issue, and there's nothing else bubbling away in back ground that might effect what your doing.

Have you done continuity test on the wires all the way back to the ECU or where they ultimately connect to? So you know there is no break in the wires on the two that aren't working.

It sounds like you've swapped the coils around so they've all had a chance on a working connection, so the coils are all good?

It does sound like something snapped, worn though, is one side of the coil supposed to be earth? That should be easy to test with continuity by touching the earth in the connector and touching the body of the car or the engine maybe?

Do the same on the working connections so you can compare what you should be seeing v's what you are seeing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some Good News, not sure if this is a correct method of testing but it worked for me, I took a link off the 12v live coil pair (Brown wire) and connected it to the other non Live Brown wire, she now fires on all 4 cylinders. Looking further into this I believe that Coil 1 & 2 have a live feed this is then linked to Coil 3 & 4 the other 2 wires from the harness then pusle the Coils in pairs from the ECU (Wasted Spark setup) This weekend i will trace the loom back and see if I can repair the non working live feed, as you can see from the picture there are 4 loom wires and 2 connected wires which link Coil 1&4 as well as Coil 2&3. I will come back and let you know what I find for future reference...Many thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Some Good News, not sure if this is a correct method of testing but it worked for me, I took a link off the 12v live coil pair (Brown wire) and connected it to the other non Live Brown wire, she now fires on all 4 cylinders. Looking further into this I believe that Coil 1 & 2 have a live feed this is then linked to Coil 3 & 4 the other 2 wires from the harness then pusle the Coils in pairs from the ECU (Wasted Spark setup) This weekend i will trace the loom back and see if I can repair the non working live feed, as you can see from the picture there are 4 loom wires and 2 connected wires which link Coil 1&4 as well as Coil 2&3. I will come back and let you know what I find for future reference...Many thanks
Ok, so definitely a break in the wires some where then. Good find!

What was your reaction when it fired up? :grin2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh Yes Result, there was me on the verge of giving up as there are other things that needed doing but unwilling to spend out unless I knew the engine was OK, at least I can now cross that off my list and worry about other things like getting it through its MOT.

Many Thanks I have a feeling I might be back here soon, lots of useful and helpful information on this forum thoroughly recommended

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This weekend I got the opportunity to strip back the loom and trace the fault, the Orange wire connected to Pencil Coil No 4 runs back to the Fuse/Relay (12v+) box that clips on the back of the battery casing. This wire had broke off inside, looks like it had chaffed through and then broke off. I ran a new feed up to the Coil and hey presto after 2 hours putting it all back together it runs a dream. This might to a one off but thought I would post it in case anyone else gets a similar issue.
Happy Motoring
Darren

1 - 9 of 9 Posts