Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just brought a 96 2.2 auto espace which seems to have a few niggling problems.
The battery light seems to fade on and off as it pleases though the battery seems to be holding a charge.
The engine temp gets to almost the red before the fan cuts in...is this normal for these. I id check water level and it was lacking water but have sinced added some though i could not see a max mark on the bottle.
The blower switch inside the car only works on 4 not 1,2 or 3....i have read on here that it could be a burnt out wire but not too sure as there are mentions of a heater pack??
And finally the drivers electric window seems to go down no problem but struggles to come back up if at all....does something just need greasing???
Any help or ideas would be great as other than this she is great.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Check all the connections on the battery to see that they are all tight and also the earthing strap that runs to the chassis that might be whats doing that.

The heater problem sounds like a relay someone had this problem and posted some pics on this problem i believe its under the top peace of the dash board.Put a search under heater switch relay somthing like that i hope this helps.

The window problem sounds very like needing grease or the bracket has came lose and now not in the right position and making it hard to get back up

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi i have 94 rt 2tr in dont know about the batt light.hte temp gauge seems to be the same on mine when it goes up just past the last block before the red the fan kicks in,
the heater fan is the same on mine only works on 4 the resistor pack nacked iv read in the archives section how to replace with a 20 amp fuse i might av a go,and id try greasing the window mech and if you use spray grease you'l be able to spray in where the cable windes into

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
hi ta2mark

the battery light flickering sounds like the alternator is about to fail , id get this sorted before you end up getting stranded . if its a valeo alternator you can get a regulator/brushpack which is the usual suspect for under £20 but the hard part is removing alternator from car.

ive got the same engine in my laguna and the temperature never gets above a third of the way up and as a result ive never heard my fan kick in. you may have a leak somewhere causing overheating, again this could be a warning of a repair needed .. check for water leaks when parked overnight.

blower motor only works on number 4 when resistor pack fuse is blown, this can be repaired or replaced, do a forum search for more info

as for slow window operation could this be due to low battery voltage ? alternator failing? id get the door cards off and lube all sliding parts with vaseline as this does not retain water and its easily cleaned from glass, it will reduce friction on the moving parts causing less strain on the electric window motors

goodliuck
regards robbie

·
Registered
45 Posts
batt/warning light

i think you have to check this one out first

use a multimeter if you dont have one you can get one for a fiver or whatever set the scale o to 20 volts dc red lead to + black lead to - should be over 12 volts on standing ie motor not running after starting the motor on tick over it should be 14 t0 14 and a half volts constant if not you know its the alternater for a 3o second test and a fiver it could save you a big bill i have tested some cars where the meter is reading all over the place 5 20 30 10 16 this normally indacates faulty battery

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I have done a volt meter test as it went from13 to 15.5 once the vehicle was started so alternator seems fine.
Battery light only seems to come on once the blower or aircon is switched on so could this be linked to the blower only working on full.
Temp is stuill touching red and no fan only seem to get fans to work when aircon is on so by that i take it the fan sender unit is knackered.

·
Registered
45 Posts
hiya ta2mark

the plot thikens eh this red light does it go out when driving is just on tick over ? i am wondering if your battery is on its way out when you put the blower on full it will require more amps from the batt to drive it if not enough in reserve it will put the light on i am thinking 15.5 volts may be just a tad high normal is just about 14.8 is this an indacator from the batt to draw more? if light on on tick over do you have a member of family or mate you can try there batt disconect yours put theres on the floor with jump leads do the meter test see what volts you have and see if it puts the light out better than spending dosh if you can find it mate dont know just bouncing things of you good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The light comes on when driving too and i kept the meter on the battery when i switched stuff on to see if i could make the light come on but the volts never had a major drop

edit
Wife just rang to say the light did not come on till she put blower on to cool engine as thats the only way to get rad fans working till i get new fan switch and after she switched the blower off the light went out gradually!!!!
So is this all linked to the blown resistor pack for speeds 1.2.3

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
if car is starting fine from a morning cold startup then i wouldnt think its the battery
its also not resistor pack related
ive done the repairs on the same components trust me

i know this may seem hard but if you can get something like a broomhandle to hit the alternator when engine is running look for the battery light to go off momenteraly, this is the brush wear / weak springs not making a good contact with the sliprings on the alternator statorshaft,, also the current from the blower motor on max is putting a strain on this weak connection causing light to come and go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi just brought a 96 2.2 auto espace which seems to have a few niggling problems.
The battery light seems to fade on and off as it pleases though the battery seems to be holding a charge.
The engine temp gets to almost the red before the fan cuts in...is this normal for these. I id check water level and it was lacking water but have sinced added some though i could not see a max mark on the bottle.
The blower switch inside the car only works on 4 not 1,2 or 3....i have read on here that it could be a burnt out wire but not too sure as there are mentions of a heater pack??
And finally the drivers electric window seems to go down no problem but struggles to come back up if at all....does something just need greasing???
Any help or ideas would be great as other than this she is great.
Hi, Last time i had a battery light going on and off it was the alternator. Mine would start off o.k. then would start coming on and off after about ten minutes. It was the brushes worn out and only just touching the comutator. They can be changed without removing the alternator , but its difficult unless you have another alternator to compare.
Fans not coming on probably due to thermal switch on rad faulty, but could also be air in top of rad - try bleeding it.
Fans only working on 4 - very common - in one case it was the resistor pack inside the fan unit - another it was the connector on the side of the fan unit. If its the resistor pack you can just replace the thermal fuse on the side of it.
Drivers window struggling to come up - the guides near the bottom sometime rust squeezing the rubber window guide together.(remove rubber - clear out rust to reduce squeeze) otherwise apply some silicon grease to the central runner.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Assuming its the same as a 2.0 : The alternator is held on by one long bolt at the top and the tensioner at the bottom. To get the top one out you need to remove the radiator fans and tilt the radiator away from the engine. If the car has no aircon just remove the radiator. You can get to the back of the alternator by removing the air intake filter housing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts