Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, just noticed that the carpet on the drivers side of my espace 2.2dt 1998has got a small deposit of oily fluid on it, on inspection it seems that the fluid is travelling down the clutch pedal,
any ideas as to the cause of this please?
i am going to france on holiday in 2 weeks & really dont need this now so any help/advice would be greatfully recieved,
cheers,
gordon.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Last year I was driving along and noticed a trickle of fluid/oil running down the pedal. The clutch pedal became soft. £654 later it was fixed. New hydraulic system required, as it'sacomplete unit not seperate.

I would browse the 'Clutch problems' posts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can i get a new clutch master cylinder?
will that cure the problem as the clutch has gone totally now, gone totally soft & does not return.
cheers,
gordon.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
For my 2.2dci 2001, no it was everything from the cylinder that pushes the clutch plate right up to the pedal itself.

I traded it in last week with a new one on which it has a modified part that is bleedable/refillable.

It's a dash off job so big labour costs.

Have you searched the forum ?, as a guy did his own a few weeks ago.

Nick

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did mine a couple of weeks ago on my Espace Alize, it's not a bad job if you have a bit of mechanical knowledge, but if you haven’t leave well alone. You have to take most of the dash apart, which isn’t too bad; you just have to take your time and don’t force anything. Once it’s off you have to remove the clutch pedal, take off the master cylinder, then remove the clutch pipe work, which splits in two in the engine compartment, remove the slave cylinder. That done then you have to refit the clutch system in reverse order except fitting the new reservoir, which fits just behind the steering column. I hope this don’t frighten you off, because someone on here was charged over £600 to have this job done, mine cost me £270 for parts! If you need any further help let me know :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies , ordered one from renault today £268.36,
got a mate who is self employed mechanic fitting it wednesday, so hopefully not too painful on my pocket, i will ask here if anymore help is needed.
cheers.gordon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I had to get the clutch hydraulics replaced on my 1998 2.2 RXE TD the week before last (cost £475 inc part and fitting).

It had seemed to be working OK previously, although I had been used to driving an automatic for about 6 years prior to buying it last October – so I may not be the best judge. Anyway, one evening I got in and found that the clutch pedal had no effect. In daylight I discovered hydraulic fluid all over the mat.

I was told (after having it fitted) that the clutch is worn (although it is not showing signs of slipping yet) - which means that the pedal has to travel further to operate. Apparently this puts extra strain on the master cylinder. I have been advised that I should get the clutch replaced within the next month or two or else the new hydraulics will eventually go pop prematurely. I have been quoted £300 for clutch replacement, and intend getting it done asap. I would advise you (and any one else with the dodgy cylinder problem) to get the clutch checked at the same time as getting the hydraulics replaced – might save future expense (or at least postpone getting your dashboard ripped out more often than necessary).

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts