Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had the espace for a few months now and generally happy with it. Just went through the MOT after giving it new discs, pads and a few odds and ends.

However, the one thing that does annoy me is the Gearchage. It is like changing gear through treacle. You can change to any gear reliably, that is not the problem. Just the process of selecting one is just yuck. Stodgy is the most descriptive word I can think of for it.

It has been like that since I bought it and have never had a problem with it actually getting the job done. Done a good 10000+ miles in it. Just that I would like a nice 'light' change. I very much doubt that this is normal. Any ideas as to cause/remedy ?

Thanks,

Zuber

·
Registered
10 Posts
sticky gear changes...

Hi boys and girls.
Thought you may be interested in my saga with gear changes. I have a w reg 2.2 td espace and changing gear is like pulling the skin off custard but it's never been any different. Last week i reversed off my drive and when i went to put it in 1st there was a bang and the gear stick went loose. Could move it from 1st to 2nd gear position but not across the box but it wasn't actualy selecting 1st or 2nd. First thought was that the cable was probably fixed to the gearstick by ball joint, and it had fell off so got my spanners out to investigate.
Nothing to view from inside the car so went underneath. Removed the heat shield from directly under the gear change and removed 5 or 6 screws hold the bottom of the gear change unit in place. Both cables were still attached and it is the cable directly under the stick which opperates the 1st to 2nd. The other cable opperates across the box. Removed the clip that holds the cable in the gear change unit and pulled it out. The ball joint is on a 4 / 5 inch solid rod which then is attached to the cable inside the outer cable. This had boken off so obviously a new cable was needed.
Phoned main dealer as i always do with any car, as a price guide and to find out if anything else is needed. ie clips/nuts/bolts etc. They informed me that you have to buy both cables AND the gear change unit as one piece at a cost of £260....... When i finally came round and my wife had removed my tongue from my throat, i said i'd get back to them. Ha ha, i thought, phone the breakers. We have a breakers that specializes in Espace so gave them a ring and was told " No chance mate. As soon as an Espace appears with gear change like that, it's gone". Bugger i thought, try some more. No luck anywhere and was told that there wasn't pattern parts either so if you did find any they'd be more than a pound anyway. Filled out Findapart and others and had no reply, so decided to get the wife to order one from main dealer. Couldn't bring myself to do it........ Had to wait over the weekend as none in stock AND had to pay for it before they'd order it because of the cost.
Stripped the other cable and gear change box off as i wasn't going to NOT use the new ones at that price. Fitted the new ones today. The box and cables come attached so it's just a matter of feeding the cables to the gearbox ball joints. Job done and eager for a test drive to sample some silky smooth gear changes..... No such luck. The gear changes are much the same. I'd like to think it's better but i'm just trying to fool myself after spending all that cash...
Also the clutch is a "sealed for life hydraulic unit" so it says in the Haynes manual ( Laguna. 2.2 dt. Same engine and gearbox). Had a look when underneath and theres a plunger that pushes to engage the clutch so i'm wondering if i put something between the plunger and the clutch lever, it may push the lever just that little further to help gear changes........
Thats about it folks.. Maybe these gear changes are all like this so dont try and rush them cos you might end up needing the kiss of life.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gear change update

Just an update on gear changes in my espace. The wife thinks its easier to select gears. Hadn't really driven it myself until yesterday and i must say that it is a definate improvement. Still cant rush it but it is smoother. If i was asked if i would have changed it if the cable had not broke i think i would have to say no...... I personally dont think it's £260 better. Obviously if a cable snaps and you cant find any second hand ones, then you've no choice....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Clutch Overview

Hi mate , great overview of gear linkage.

However the clutch is a nightmare too. Before I bought my '99 Alize DT I test drove 8 or 10 of these. They all suffered from rubbery gear changes. However the bigger problem was the clutch only cleared at the point were the pedal was on the floor, and if you rushed the change it would rasp the gears.

The clutch uses a plastic master cylinder in the passenger compartment, plastic pipes to the slave cylinder and you guessed it, a plastic slave cylinder. There is no adjustment and if fluid leaks out of the system or the seals wear, you loose clutch pedal length. There is no provision to add fluid. Pushing the plunger in (slave cylinder) and packing the back of the release fork doesn't work as the plunger will move in pushing the fluid back to the master cylinder. The master cylinder only locks off the fluid when pressure is applied to the pedal. When you release the plunger it moves out again taking up its new position without changing the pedal travel.

The Renault Solution !!

The Master / Slave and pipe are all one kit at a cost of £240. A four hour dash strip and build to fit. Not prepared to line their pockets I fitted it myself, and guess what, it didn't improve it. And even more, the new master cylinder began to leak at its seal within a week.

The replacement part is improved as it now has a refillable reservoir. The benefit of this is, I found lost movement of the pedal which was not being transfered to movement in the slave cylinder could be improved by pushing the plunger all the way in and allowing it to extend again in its own time. Presumably this pushed fluid and air back into the reservoir and as the slave resettled it refilled with fluid only. In my case the part I was removing had been replaced at some time by a previous owner, and therfore had the reservoir. This brought my Renault diagnosed faulty £240 part back to life.

However this is not the whole story.

Now there was no lost movement between pedal and slave cylinder, my clutch was better but still not as good as I would like. The master cylinder is housed in a pedal box arrangement. I found pedal movement was misaligned with the master cylinder, causing its plunger to be pushed far to one side, and before the pedal reached the floor, the plunger failed to be pushed further as its attachment point moved through an arc. I drilled out the spot welds holding the whole thing together and reset the master cylinder position, giving full plunger movement in line with the movement of the pedal. By this time I could rebuild the dash in less than an hour!!, and guess what, A GOOD CLUTCH.

I now have approx 7000 miles on the old part and improved pedal box.

I my opinion the pedal box is a poor maufacturing / design job which can only fail through time.

The gearbox appears to be very particlular about what oil it uses. I have the Renault workshop DVD and it specifies a particular oil and oil level. By the way, you have to make a dip stick to get the level right!. At the moment mine is running on the wrong oil, which makes second hard to engage until she is at normal running temperature.

Hope this experience helps in your quest for the perfect Espace gear change.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow,

Thanks for the excellent feedback guys.

Had my local garage look at it and he is quite convinced it is the gear linkage cables. Chasing some second hand ones, but the guy selling is messing me about...

It has got me thinking though. Is it possible that they may simply need adjusting as opposed to replacing ?

Something a typical garage would spot or overlook ?

Thanks,

Zuber

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news.

Picked up a complete second hand unit. Gear selextor box and cables. Local garage fitted it and now the gearchange is fine.

One less thing for the wife to complain about. Now onto all the other little things...

Thanks for all the feedback guys. More quetions to follow...

Zuber

·
Registered
3 Posts
Zuber, I hope it was worth it for you, because the same just happened to my '99 Grand 2.2!
As you said the cable isn't available separately from Renault, but as a complete gearchange assembly. Really glad it is still under warranty with the dealer, phew.
Hasn't anyone been able to trace a supply of the cable on it's own??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gearchange is OK after replacement, but wouldn't say it was a huge amount different from before.
Best thing (apart from dealer paid and acted quickly) is that I now have a leather gearknob!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi
The gear shift cable on my 99 2.2td Renault Espace has broken leaving me stuck in 2nd gear 75 miles from home, which is a long way at 32 MPH:rofl:

Anyway stripped it down and the front / back gear selector cable has snapped, it has a part number 602 530 6288 on the cable case, as others have found you cannot buy the cables seperately and i have been quoted £300:eek: :steam: for a new unit from renault which includes the whole gear lever unit and both cables.

Has anybody any tips on where i could get one cheaper from renault or off an after market supplier, it is ridiculous to have to pay £300 for what is probably £20 worth of cable, i feel renault is really taking the mickey with the way they do this:steam: :steam: it is out of order but nobody can stop them you just have to take it:mad:

Both cables simply unclip and even have their own part numbers on them so are easy to change, fair enough having to buy both cables as a set but to have to buy the entire lever assembly is a joke.

I am seriously considering selling my espace just because of the cost of the spares:(

(my bad language has been self edited in this post:d )

·
Administrator
21,710 Posts
Hi
The gear shift cable on my 99 2.2td Renault Espace has broken leaving me stuck in 2nd gear 75 miles from home, which is a long way at 32 MPH:rofl:

Anyway stripped it down and the front / back gear selector cable has snapped, it has a part number 602 530 6288 on the cable case, as others have found you cannot buy the cables seperately and i have been quoted £300:eek: :steam: for a new unit from renault which includes the whole gear lever unit and both cables.

Has anybody any tips on where i could get one cheaper from renault or off an after market supplier, it is ridiculous to have to pay £300 for what is probably £20 worth of cable, i feel renault is really taking the mickey with the way they do this:steam: :steam: it is out of order but nobody can stop them you just have to take it:mad:

Both cables simply unclip and even have their own part numbers on them so are easy to change, fair enough having to buy both cables as a set but to have to buy the entire lever assembly is a joke.

I am seriously considering selling my espace just because of the cost of the spares:(

(my bad language has been self edited in this post:d )
Have you tried a scrap yard. Im sure you could find the cable you need from a scrappie ! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes i tried several who are breaking espaces, they all took a deep breath through teeth and said "You'll be lucky already gone mate":rolleyes: . apparently it is a very comon fault for this cable to snap just where it leaves the end teminal under the gear lever.

Also apparently it is unique to Diesel espaces only as the petrol has a solid linkage bar instead of cables? Must be to do with the available room around the gearbox or gearbox type possibly?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Reslult:d well kind of:confused:

My wife just located a second hand one for £80:eek: still a lot of money for a second hand cable but better than £270.

A tip for anybody else looking is to go on ebay, parts, renault and search under "espace breaking" you should get a list of people breaking espaces, just get phoning and emailing and good luck.:cool:

Incidenly i had considered Shortening the outer cable by about 40mm (if there was enough slack) and then drilling out and refitting the crimped outer end stop if possible. Then drilling the old broken inner cable out of the socket end fitting and re crimping the inner cable back in again shorter by the same amount 40mm. I was going to use a hydraulic cable crimper to do this as used by electricians / power engineers for crimping on large crimp terminals, these things crimp in a hexagonal patern just like the original crimp, i envisage the crimped area might need some cleaning up with a file so it slides smothely inside the end fitting. The result would be a working reterminated cable but just shorter by say 40mm?

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Diesel lagunas use the same system although the cables may be a different length i have some cables lying in the garage somewhere

I will compare them with mine on the car im breaking and see if they are indeed the same

anyone else needing a gearlinkage PM me i have one was going to ebay it but the way things are going on ebay at moment i think i will steer clear !!

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Diesel lagunas use the same system although the cables may be a different length i have some cables lying in the garage somewhere
Turbodiesels do. NAs like mine have a a different gearbox, with a solid linkage, and a cable operated clutch, as opposed to the hydraulic part on the dTs....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts