Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

This is my very first post on this forum and I wondered if any members could help me please?

I have a Renault Grand Espace 2.2DCi 2001 and I have a problem with my engine cutting out when accelerating!!! We had a problem with lack of power about 2 years ago which the AA said was down to the EGR valve? Revving the engine to the limiter several times seemed to have cured the problem but it still does it occasionally and we have "sort of" learned to live with it!

The problem we have now only started only this weekend when returning home after a wedding when the engine just kept cutting out when accelerating. Cycling the ignition key one click back then forward again without using the starter but keeping the car in gear would start the engine again and this is how we managed to get home!

When the car is stationary we can rev the engine all we like and it never cuts out, it appears to do it only when the car is in gear and driving! Bazaar but true!

Can anyone offer us some help please? We had the car MOT'd by a local garage where they changed the front discs and brake pads but apart from that the car passed without any problems. Could this problem somehow be related?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brissi.

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The EGR valve recirculates exhaust gas into the inlet of the engine to reduce emmissions. There have been a lot of posts stating that they can get coked up and there are some good how to's on the forum showing how to clean the valve.
I would guess your vavle may be sticking open allowing excess exhaust fumes into the engine, hence the cutting out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Chris,

It's intersting that this problem is not quite the same as when we first started having problems with the engine going into "get home" mode by simply reducing the power and alarming. Now it actually cuts out completely when accelerating.

Also, assuming that the problem is with the EGR valve, would one expect the engine to rev prefectly well up to the limiter every time when stationary but fail when driving or would it do it all the time regardless?

The AA guy reckoned it was a nightmare to remove the EGR valve and to replce it. Something to do with access or lack of it! In fact he couldn't remove it and left it as it was any way!

Brissi.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi madnoel10,

Thank you also for your reply. The same applies to the EGR valve as I just replied to Chris so perhaps it has something to do with the MAF sensor or intercooler. Don't know much about it but am willing to find out.

Do you know where I can find the MAF sensor on a Espace? What about the intercooler, what is there that can be checked out or repaired?

Thanks madnoel10

Brissi

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Espaced?

That's an interesting suggestion! I will check the coolant level but why would that make a difference? Our car is serviced by Renault regularly so I would expect the level to be ok! But I will check it... you never know!

I have been reading rather a lot of disturbing posts in honestjohn's forum which simply make me rather sad I ever bought an Espace to start with!

Lots of people with similar engines to mine which have had new EGR valves, new glow plugs, a new pipe of a larger diameter which goes into the EGR valve (I think), new injectors, software upgrades to mention but a few, all without any long lasting results! What else is left to check?

The saga continues!

Brissie

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi Brissi - is your car a manual or automatic. The "limp" mode kicks in when the cars ECU system detects a fault so to minimise the risk of damage - the symptoms could also be a fault in the fuel system.:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
HI Brissie,
I have a Renault Espace 2.2 dci and the fuel economy was especially poor 28-30mpg.

When I took off the EGR valve and cleaned it the fuel economy was much better. the car also seemed to run more smoothly.

Are you currently getting poor fuel economy as well as the cutting out?

I would suggest cleaning the EGR valve, it may help.

Best of luck

Mackdoon

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi madnoel10,

My Espace is manual. The "limp" mode was first experienced about 2 years ago. What has happened lately is that the engine just cuts out completely! Cycling the ignition key whilst in motion and in gear gets the engine started and running straight away with no problems. If whilst in motion I push the clutch in and rev the engine to the limiter, the engine works perfectly and does not cut out!

Brissi

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi mackdoon,

Thanks very much for your posting too. It does seem like the sensible thing to do although I am not loking forward to this job as the AA guy struggled with it 2 years ago and gave up in the end, opting instead for revving the proverbial out of the engine several times!

I just stood there and waited for the engine to go BANG with my fingers in my ears but it did seem to clear the problem, for a while anyway!

We do lots of long journeys in the Espace and I don't hang about, if you know what I mean, so it can't even be said that the car is not used much or is only used on short journeys, so this problem is particulalrly infuriating.

Is there anywhere on this forum information on where I can go and get advice on how to remove and clean the ERG valve that you might know?

Much appreciated and thank you for your posting.

Best regards,

Brissi

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I must admit,I can't see a faulty EGR valve causing the car to cut out.....

We have had a few people complain of 2.2dCi's cutting out,and most have been cured by having the diesel pumps and injectors replaced.Small metal filings get into the system from the low pressure pump in the tank and they upset the high pressure pump and the injectors.

It could also be a wiring fault as the engine tips back (or to the side) under acceleration.The loom could be chaffed or a connection loose somewhere.

Just my thoughts though.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi lagdti

I too am not 100% convinced of the EGR valve as I would expect the engine to go into "get home" mode rather than cut out completely as it has been doing. When the valve failed in the past, it still allowed the engine to run albeit at much reduced power but enough to get us home. This current problem with the engine just cutting out completely is different.

The air bag alarm also sometimes comes on at the same time as the engine cuts out and I re-cycle the ignition key so it could be an electrical fault shorting something out or giving the ECU a hard time (perhaps)!!! Who knows!

If it's electrical it's a little trickier to resolve as it could be anywhere! I should know, I am an electrical automation engineer and acustomed to these horrible intermitent problems! Argghhh.... and I hate them!

If it's the pump and injectors that's very nasty as combined they will cost a fortune to replace! I have been thinking about buying Renault shares but fear that it wil end up costing me more money in the end! Asides the shame of supporting the french of course!

Some people reckon that electrically disconnecting the EGR valve seems to resolve these issues but in your experience do you think that doing this for a short while only would potentially give me a good idea of where the problem lies? For instance, if it is the EGR valve then the problem should go away. If it's something else like, injectors or pump then the problem will still be there?

Any feedback will be most appreciated as I can't face the prospect of having to spend over £1000 on this confounded vehicle again!

Brissi

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi Brisi - I had a similar problem recently with a megane albeit a petrol model and it was due to a broken earth cable going from the engine to the bodywork. At idle it was touching but when accelerating under load and the engine moved and contact was lost. I suggets you check all earthing cables going to the engine - it may also be worth installing a temporary earth lead from the engine to the negative side of the battery - you could use a single jump lead for this test.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi mackdoon,

Thanks very much for your kind input and attached photo. For some strange reason my EGR looks a little bit different to the one on your photo.

The EGR in my car appears to be quite a bit bigger and also is not painted black, rather it just looks metalic, not that it makes any difference I shouldn't imagine. Strage that! My car was registered new to me in 2001, what year is yours? Maybe they changed the design slightly on newer models!

Brissi

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey madnoel10, that's a great idea. I shall give that one a try, thank you very much. I have spare leads around the place so will definately try it.

The strange thing about the problem with my car is that at stand still (i.e.not driving) I can rev the proverbial out of it and it doesn't fail once! This problem only happens when I'm driving.

I would assume that if it was a broken earth cable then just revving the engine would be enough to make it move sufficiently on it's mountings for it to fail, but again, I guess it depends on lots of other things. Sigh....

In any case, the earth lead test is easy to perform so I shall try it and post the findings so thank you very much for that suggestion.

Brissi

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi espaced?

I checked the coolant level in the expansion box and it is normal. Thank you for your suggestion anyway.

Brissi

1 - 20 of 93 Posts