Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:p Hi

My Grande Espace manual does come 'somewhere' near the stated figures for this model. However the suprise to me is I can get 40+ miles to the gallon driving 30 - 40 mph and 35+ mpg driving around town - but motorway driving is slightly less 33 mpg driving at 75 mph. I thought the motorway driving would be the more economical.

Anyway interested to hear anyone elses results for comparison.

NThomson

·
Registered
20 Posts
Espace- 2.2dCi Fuel Economy

Hi,

Had my Grand Espace 3 weeks now. It was doing 28mpg at 75mph when I first bought it and about 38mpg at 60mph.

I have now cleaned out the EGR valve thoroughly and run injector cleaner through it.

Results - 35mpg at 75
43mpg at 60!

I have also ordered a K&N air filter for it. This should improve the airflow and possibly improve fuel economy.

The key things I have learnt from reading postings on this site for the Espace is - dont use low quality fuel, get the car serviced regularly especially oil changes earlier than 18000 miles!

Will let you know if new air filter makes a difference:)

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Useful info - thanks.

Interesting that you get similar ratios - e.g a bit less at 75mph. I noticed the Lagunas seem to get relative better fuel economy at motorway cruising - maybe due to different wind resistance.

The figures I quoted for mine can easily come down - if not light footed.

I plan to carry out an oil change halfway between the 18000 service interval. Am I right in assuming the plastic cover needs to be totally removed underneath the engine to get to the drain plug - I haven't found the oil filter yet.

Cheers

NThomson

·
Registered
20 Posts
As you suggest, the plastic cover needs to come off the bottom of the engine, wasn't a problem for me when I was checking the car over, just a few bolts to remove. (Might be worth oiling/wd40 them if they are getting rusty to make it easy for next time?) In the process of doing this I noticed drivers driveshaft gaiter was split, so this has now been replaced courtesy of a £20 kit from Renault.

My aircon wasn't working either, but it has now been regassed and works like a dream :)

As far as the oil filter, well, I couldn't find it either! I have posted a request for some kind soul to let me know where it is, as yet though, no further information!

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I noticed the Lagunas seem to get relative better fuel economy at motorway cruising - maybe due to different wind resistance.
Quite correct, if you park your car next to a Laguna, and stand in front of both - each car has to 'punch' a hole in the air equivalent to that area (a term called, Frontal Area), your car is considerably larger, so it requires much more energy to travel at higher speeds. Another way to look at it is to compare Laguna & Grand Espace models with the same engine sizes - and look at the fuel economy / top speed figures - they will be quite different, I'm sure.

But don't be too down in the mouth - have you ever tried fitting 7 adults & their luggage in a Laguna???:d

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paul,

You are spot on with the difference - everything is better if I take all the seats out (very heavy -especially compared to phase 3), plus no squeaks and rattles - no passengers......
best driving experience when I am returning from the tip with the cabasse turned up.

Hang on just forgotten why I bought a Grande Espace in the first place - oh yes 3 kids 'that like to be seperated' (plus their pals)

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
35 - 40 mpg sounds about right for ours.:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
After replacing air filter with a new K&N, new fully synthetic oil and slick 50 and fuel injector cleaner these are figures for my Espace...

60 mph - 45/46 mpg
75 mph - 36 mpg

Better than when i bought it :)

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny thing - I had to have the auxillery belt replaced, new tensioner (chunk missing from pulley wheel) and air con pump wasn't working. After these were fixed the fuel economy altered.

60 mph - about 42 ish
75 mph - about 36 ish

I don't know if the change was down to these (resistance or something) or coincidental with the warmer weather (might improve fuel economy).

Anyway where is the oil filter (assuming yours is a phase 4)

Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
2.2dci fuel economy

Hi
Just another post for comparison. Your fuel econ sounds pretty good. Even when running in for 500 miles (not revving above 2500) i got only 37mpg. General mixed driving gives 33, motorways (80mph) 35mpg. It's disappointing, even allowing for size and weight, given that I get 50+mpg from my Volvo S60 D5 (bigger engine, more HP). That said, it's a great car for doing what it's designed to do.:)

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi
Just another post for comparison. Your fuel econ sounds pretty good. Even when running in for 500 miles (not revving above 2500) i got only 37mpg. General mixed driving gives 33, motorways (80mph) 35mpg. It's disappointing, even allowing for size and weight, given that I get 50+mpg from my Volvo S60 D5 (bigger engine, more HP). That said, it's a great car for doing what it's designed to do.:)
Thats more like the figures I get.:(

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The figures I quoted are straight off the trip computer driving steady and over a period of 1/2 hour to an hour. If I average it over the combined use of a full tank - overall is more like 30 - 33 mpg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,

I believe mine is the earlier model to yours, series 3?

Anyway oil filter is at front of engine compartment towards the bottom of the engine, but it is a paper oil filter, so it doesnt look like your normal oil filter. You may or may not have the same type, as yours is a later model.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK Thanks,

By the way I had a phase 3 for 6 years and for all the 'improvements' the phase 4 has to offer I must admit there are a lot of things I miss about it in comparison to the phase 4.

Anyone with a phase 4 know where the oil filter is? - I guess sooner or later I will get of my **** and find it myself.

Nigel

·
Registered
13 Posts
Espace 2.2 dci mpg

:mad: :steam:

Hi

I have recently purchased an Espace 2.2dci privilege and was told that they are excellent on fuel:eek:

However it is is not! :steam: I'm getting approx. 23mpg around town according to the computer. Even if this is not accurate I get 55-60 miles for a tenner. In my previous espace I used to get 60-65 miles for a tenner.

My previous Espace 2.2td was slightly better. Most people on the forums are getting 30+ mpg how?:crazy:

Someone please help! The car was serviced by Renault 2000 miles ago it runs fine so I havent a clue what to do next.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi,

Just a question - are you recording the mpg around town when the car is fully warmed up? When i start off in a morning it will record figures on the trip computer at 17 mpg to 23 mpg. Warmed up (and usually after all bars on the dash have been showing for a few minutes) then it will start showing figures 35 +

Apart from the trip computer it is worth recording what you get between refills. I would expect to get 500 + miles to a tank, obviously depending on driving style.

Nige

Nigel

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Sorry,

Just read the bit - where you have also recorded 60-65 miles for a tenner.

It cost me aprox £73 to fill up (depressing), so say you got 65 miles to £10 7.3 x 65 = 474.5 miles to a tank.

Just realised - I've used the figures for your previous car (I'm not fully with it yet)

So yes does appear to be low.

Nige

·
Registered
13 Posts
Espace 2.2 dci fuel consumption

Cheers Nige!

Thanks for the reply. Yes it's a bit low. Especially when my mates got a Chrysler Voyager 2.5 CRD and he gets more mileage than me :eek:

Whenever, the Espace is reviewed there is always a mention of how well the fuel consumption is. But its upsetting when I'm not feeling the same way:steam:

Any thoughts ideas of what could be the problem?

As I mentioned before its been serviced by Renault 2000 miles ago.

Please any ideas?

·
2,311 Posts
Hi, you said that the service had been done by Renault, did you tell them about the fuel economy issues?

Check that they have done all the fuel injection computer updates and all the relevent OTS jobs have been done.

You should be getting better than that, what mileage has your Espace done?

Hope it helps :)

·
2,311 Posts
Oh, PS the on-board computers are about as accurate as an Isaac Asimov story as it only displays the average since it was reset :( , work it out manually by brimming the tank, resetting the trip and doing your journey, then brimming the tank again., and dividing the miles by the fuel used .... its much more accurate than the on-board random number generator.

Hopr it helps :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts