Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Chaps,

We've done about 35000 miles in our Espace now and like you I've noticed it wears its tyres quite badly on the outside edges, front and rear.

Just had a ful set of Falken HS 439 Eurowinters fitted (very good tyres for this car) and had the geo checked at the same time.

Attached are the adjusted values it came back with.

What do you think?

Cheers

Yves

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,253 Posts
get cam bolts fitted to the front hubs (to correct camber)and have the rear axle stubs fitted with shims to correct both toe and camber. (you need about 1-2mm toe in there)

you have a thrust angle on the rear axle, which means you must have the car always aligned on x4 wheel laser ramps to correct else you will have a wonky steering wheel.

they should ignore the manufacture recommended settings as they are too lax (someone (at reno R&D)coundnt be bothered to actually spend money on having them with tighter tollerances as that would mean almost all models would rack up a lot of remidial work to correct (what i would consider shoddy parts))

you shouldnt have to replace tyres every 5-8k, many other manufacturers and models can do up to 30k miles on one set !!!

on my old lag1 i did around 30k miles on one set of tyres 2003-2005.

Reactions: YvesD

·
Registered
18 Posts
get cam bolts fitted to the front hubs (to correct camber)and have the rear axle stubs fitted with shims to correct both toe and camber. (you need about 1-2mm toe in there)

Definately going to have this done, sooner rather than later.

you have a thrust angle on the rear axle, which means you must have the car always aligned on x4 wheel laser ramps to correct else you will have a wonky steering wheel.

Good spot, the wheel is drooping noticably to the right currently.

you shouldnt have to replace tyres every 5-8k, many other manufacturers and models can do up to 30k miles on one set !!!

on my old lag1 i did around 30k miles on one set of tyres 2003-2005.
The old Girl is not too bad on overall tyre wear, I rotate them at about 15k and that way manage to squeeze 20 -22k out of a single pair.

Cheers and Happy Christmas to All

Yves

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I think I know why the rear tire is wearing out form outer edge especially the left hand side . I had a puncture today . When I took the wheel off I noticed the bottom part of the coil spring is broken. And the broken bit is very rusty and sitting tight in the shoe . From the look of it . It must have been broken for a long time. The question is, should I change the other side too or just the broken spring. The other spring looks intact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,253 Posts
always replace suspension parts in axle pairs where-ever possible.

so yes replace both springs and also get the rubber bushes that they sit in on top replaced(they are only about £12 the pair i belive) and will prevent any odd knocking noises.

the old ones should also have a plastic sleeve on thebottom end of the spring, make sure you get this taken off the old spring and fitted to the new one, its there to prevent sqeeking and creaking noises when they compress and try to twist on the hub/axle-spring carrier.

Reactions: DrRog

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Thanks Mord,
The springs are £55 each and not a problem to replace as I have the tools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

I've just sufferred the broken rear spring thing too!

Debating whether to fit genuine Renault ones at £85 quid a pop each or some aftermarket KYB's or Sachs?

What do you think?

Yves

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had exactly the same problem with rear springs broken at the bottom. Renault UK paid a proportion to replace.
Alos having aproblem with rear tyres wearing on outer edges. At £150 + Michelins are expensive to wear so quickly. Dealer and independant say there is no adjustment, and so it must be as per originally intended.
Not too sure what we can achieve. But read good post on similar issue with Clios.:crazy:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the tracking checked by renault just over twelve months ago when I replaced the back tyres. All was within spec, but the renault mechanic suggested increasing the tyre pressure. I have now been running at 2.5 bar on the rear tyres and not 2.2 as in manual and the wear is a lot better. Previously I was struggling to get 8k legal miles. Have now done 20k and still legal. The wear is still heavier on the outside edge, but achieving a lot more millage. Have Barum Bravuris 2xl fitted (Continental budget make), at £95 each (special offer) from National.

·
Registered
74 Posts
thanks for this post chaps.
I have had my 2003 car for only 6k miles and I see it is eating its tyres.
I also just had a spring replaced - just one, I wasn't offered two and it was bloody expensive. :rolleyes:

I now see I need to look at suspension set-up too.

I will try the air pressure thing too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All.

After many phone calls to Renault about my uneven tyre ware on the rear of my Grande Espace and not being listened to I have decided to join this forum as other owners of renault cars are having the same issue. I have had 2 wheel alighnment checks wich shows there is a issue that is causing my tires to become bald on the outer part of the tyre and fine from the middle to the inner part of the tyre. I have read that other peole on here are having the same issue and After speaking to MIRA who will be getting back to me with some more information I feel that we should be contacting watchdog about this.
If your front tyres where having the same issue it could be fixed by adjustment.
I am trying to get enough bodies to complain about this to make a difference for us all.

I have called and spoke to Watchdog who said that we need more people to complain about this problem.

Many thanks

Andy B :eek:
wot tyre wear is it can we have a pic i am a tyre fitter. oand 2 wheel adjustment will not do it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
I have had this problem to but I wotk for a fast fit company and I found out that it is caused by the vehicles being set up for left hand drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all,

I've just taken my Yokohama Advan Sport tyres off the rear (55 plate 2.2dci) after 22k and have approx. 2.5mm tread left. All I have done is keep the tyres inflated to 2.4bar. Seems high but I've found it wears the tyre pretty flat. Honestly the outside edge is probably slight more worn but not drastically.
I find I have more of a problem on the fronts, my fronts after the same time have worn the very outside tread smooth but have 2 to 3 mm tread in middle and inside.
I have been told in the past the only part of the tread that needs to be above the 2mm limit is the middle 80% of the tyre. Which is also why your tread wear indicators are normally only 3 within the 80% area. I always get nervous when I start seeing smoothness on the very outside edge though, I'm lucky enough to have a second set of wheels fitted with virtually new winter tyres, so they are now on while I replace the others.

Mark.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I noticed that my rear tyres were wearing on the outside edges, (budget tyres so will change them soon anyway) so took it to a local garage that offers 4 wheel geometry. Despite the fact that the rear axle is fixed, they were able to loosen and adjust the axle using a mallet! I have attached a scan of the measurement printout, which will doubtless have meaning for some!

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know that this is an old thread but sure why not add to it if there is some new information. The rear left on my espace is 4deg out and it 's caused the usual outer edge wear. Now here's the thing, I did a bit of digging with my long forgotten school boy french and it's also a common problem in France where the problem seems to occur more on the RHS rear.
It got me thinking, they are heavy cars and throwing them around roundabouts will transfer a lot of weigh to the rear left, and in france, the rear right. Could the issue simply be caused by this weight deforming the rear stub axle or even just stretching the bolts causing the deviation from the correct tracking figures?

Have a look here and you'll see threads for tyre (pneu) wear (usure).

Forum automobile Forum-Auto.com

I think I'll start trying to solve my problems with a set of new axle bolts

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,488 Posts
What about checking Rear subframe mounts,,

If one has collapsed then that side of the subframe will be higher up than the other..

·
Registered
40 Posts

If one has collapsed then that side of the subframe will be higher up than the other..

Phase IV Espace don't have a subframe, my BMWs do but the Espace doesn't. It has a rear beam axle with a metalastic bush on each side and if these were worn enough to cause the tracking to be out that much it's likely there would be a banging noise going over speed ramps and other road obstacles.

I think that because the wear is most common on the lhs of rhd cars and rhs of lhd cars it has to be to do with the way the cars drive.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts