Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Im seriously considering buying a 2003 (late) espace 3.0dci. I really enjoyed the test drive and the spec. I have a family of 6, should I buy this car? Whats it like on fuel and relaibility?

I was mad keen on it last night, but reading some of the forums, now im really worried, if im doing the right thing.

The Espace is with a main delear and awaiting my responce.

please let me know your views and experiances. Would really apprecite all help and advice.

Thanks
Sadiq

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
We have a 3.0dCi from new & find it excellent. Auto box works well and is effortless. Just as it should be.

Cruise control is very useful, especially in keeping to speed limits. Seats are heavy but solid.

Fuel consumption is generally around 30mpg. Cruises nicely at high speed & is very quiet.

Not had any serious problems - just niggles which the dealership has fixed.

The reason we bought new was in order to spec it up & keep till it dropped. The standard model didn't have the features we wanted many of which are standard on the cheaper & noisier 807.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

JJ

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Sadiq.

The only advice I can give would be to check the service record and ensure all services are up to date and if the car is with a Renault main dealer it should come with an extensive warranty which I feel is required with all Renault's as some parts that might seem cheap are very expensive to replace in labour terms, If with a Renault main dealer they should be able to print of details of any previous warranty work which should give you an Idea if the car has had a history of faults.

Depending on the mileage check if the cambelt is needing replaced in the very near future as this is an very expensive service.

We have a number of Espace owners on the Forums who I am sure will be along to offer their experiences of Espace ownership.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI thanks for your advice very useful, especially the previous work carried out.interestingly I went today to have another look at it by the way its the grand espace, and the car park attendant dealer told me to stay well away from renault dealers as they provide a poor service and they are very expensive.

decisions, decisions!

Help me make the right decision.

My heart says YES, myhead WAIT.

Sadiq

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
We have the Grand Espace also. My wife had reservations but the turning circle is very good.

• Tyres - approx £150 ea (Conti)
  • Oil filter £50 (only seems to be avail from Renault)
  • 1st service was £230 (I supplied oil).
  • If it has heated seats, check they work properly. The dealership swapped our seat elements out as they only got mildly warm and one wasn't working. There was a new number element part (so Renault recognised the problem we assumed) which the dealership fitted & they're now much better and now get hot, not just warm.
  • Sunroof is excellent & its great to have the option of having the roof sceen back to let more light in during winter months & closed for summer motorway driving. Seal between glass roof & body tends to come detached. On our second in 3yrs
  • Battery failed at under 3yrs but excluded from 3yr warrenty! Apparently only covered for 1yr even though the car has supposedly got a 3yr warrenty
  • Kids love the rotating seats & having picnics in the car.
Insurance - circa £250 including European cover

We are extremely pleased & the kids love it. Auto box combined with ample power in reserve makes it a dream to drive. We wouldn't swap it & would buy another if (heaven forbid) it were written off in a crash or stolen.

We did consider the 2.2dCi but felt we tended to be changing gear all the time to get it moving and it seemed to work hard trying to stay at speed especially with inclines. The 3.0dCi hardly notices hills by comparison. Perhaps it was the car we drove or perhaps we're just lazy & like our comforts! Probably the latter.

Whether you go for the 2.2 or 3.0, either knocks spots off the competition. I guess the thing I wasn't keen on is that everything was an extra on the Espace which was included in the competition - however, we got an excellent deal for cash with no trade in and selected most of the optional extras. We plan to keep a very long time which I guess says a lot in itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks John

Your post has been very helpful, I have gone ahead and out down a deposit on the Grand espace and they are bringing it down to my local dealer next week. I will take a good look at it and make my final decision then.

But a lot of the advice from this forum has been very helful, Im really grateful and feel I now belong to a new group of freinds ready help on tap.

Please keep your advice and help coming in, I really appreciate it.

Thanks

Sad:) iq

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Glad to help.

We really like ours - a comfortable & quiet family car with passenger seats which fit taller people.

At 6'5 there aren't many cars I can sit in the back of and adjust the seat to a correct position - the seats are often too small with not enough headroom.

JJ

BTW I just discovered the 3.0dCi engine is made by Isuzu - not Renault!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Espace......buy or not

Run a mile....nice to drive but VERY expensive to repair and unreliable.....main agents appear to be only interested in fitting new parts....fitters I believe get commission on them.

Stick to reliable japanese, Honda, Mazda etc. and find a good independent local mechanic to service it.
I've had 2 peugeots both trouble, n current espace that I have had 5 years and has cost me more in repairs than it's original purchase price of 9k. I would never buy another Renault or recommend them in spite of their comfort and driving pleasure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts