Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone ,I hope some one out there can help me.After having my new key fob re-programmed [old fob us] and coincidently fitting anew battery to the Espace the tailgate refuses to unlock,all other doors etc work ok.A slight hum can be heard from the tailgate when operating the key-fob[not a click] I need to remove the inner tailgate trim but with the tail-gate shut this looks impossible.i have removed the two bottom corner screws,removed the inner door handle and slackened the two top mounting screws but to no avail .My last idea was to cut inspection hole/holes to gain access to the lock/lock assemblies. Can anybody advise as to what position they might be in the tailgate.Any suggestions would be very greatfully received. Melvynjb

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi everyone ,I hope some one out there can help me.After having my new key fob re-programmed [old fob us] and coincidently fitting anew battery to the Espace the tailgate refuses to unlock,all other doors etc work ok.A slight hum can be heard from the tailgate when operating the key-fob[not a click] I need to remove the inner tailgate trim but with the tail-gate shut this looks impossible.i have removed the two bottom corner screws,removed the inner door handle and slackened the two top mounting screws but to no avail .My last idea was to cut inspection hole/holes to gain access to the lock/lock assemblies. Can anybody advise as to what position they might be in the tailgate.Any suggestions would be very greatfully received. Melvynjb
Hi i have 2002 espace and i have scratch my head about this as well but it does come off because ive heard that it has been done put a search under (espace rear door or lock) and see what comes up.On my espace there is a panal the width of the door and about 4inches high halfway down the back door i think this is a service hatch this may help you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
tailgate trim removal

I had a similar problem. I used a push bike tyre lever shaped like an L to lever the bottom of the trim outwards and this rleased the 2 plastic clips along the bottom, 1 about center and 1 about 1 third way in from offside. Then I bent out the trim from the corner till I could just get my hand inside the tailgate (caused some damage to the trim but not too bad) Once inside you can feel the rod leading from the handle and you pull this towards the centre and it releases the fastening. Then repeat on the other side and the door will open allowing you to remove the top screws and take off the trim properly. Good luck.
Now my trim is refitted it looks OK and better than a couple of holes in it I think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a similar problem. I used a push bike tyre lever shaped like an L to lever the bottom of the trim outwards and this rleased the 2 plastic clips along the bottom, 1 about center and 1 about 1 third way in from offside. Then I bent out the trim from the corner till I could just get my hand inside the tailgate (caused some damage to the trim but not too bad) Once inside you can feel the rod leading from the handle and you pull this towards the centre and it releases the fastening. Then repeat on the other side and the door will open allowing you to remove the top screws and take off the trim properly. Good luck.
Now my trim is refitted it looks OK and better than a couple of holes in it I think.
Moonmothshadow saves the day although there were moments when i could have given up,but i thought if its been done then i can do it!! The final problem was just dry linkage fom solenoid to the end of the cables{not rods on this occasion].Im once again very greatful for your advice and cant believe it is finally over Melvyn

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Hi John here

I have just had ago at my espace alize 1998 tailgate as it decided to stop working of the remote key fob.
first I got a small electrical screwdriver the type with a neon in and used this to push the back of the activating handel as far as possible in, keeping the pressure on I fired the central loking several times, pressure must be kept on the screwdriver while you do this. this fortunately made it so tail gate opened.

Ifound two screws torx type on bottom corners and another two on top there are also two in the pull down handle, once all these were removed the inner fell off,
main cause was rust and dryness I liberaly central area around the lock itself and worked the bars well to there extreams then repeated on each end again working well to extreamsthis time for even longer, being as I had not got any spray grease i repeated then tried tailgate several times before rebuilding on completion the release handel was open out to full extent which it had not done for some time only regret i had no white grease to spray on once releast to help slow rusting more
tink2

·
Registered
4 Posts
The screwdriver trick didn't work for me so I was left with waiting for it to open of its own accord as everyone assured me it would, however I didn't have time so I carefully (ho ho) removed one of the narrow vents towards the top of the trim and jammed in a 7cm wide piece of wood (a bed slat) twisting this gave enough clearance to see the lock and the right hand pull rod I could probably have worked out a way of moving the rod but some WD40 sprayed on the look using the red straw thing did the job once the door was open I took the panel off straight away. I took off the LH vent The RH one might have given me better visibility of the lock?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too have experienced a similar annoyance :steam: with my Espace (2002). It appears that the boot hatch has trouble "de-latching" after a lot of Rain - like most of this summer!

After taking it to get it looked at and it working OK at the garage, I have found that by holding the latch in by approx 1/4 of its full movement, then unlocking the car with the fob, something inside just catches and you can release the lid.

Its a good job the rear window still opens or we'd be stuck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts