Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have searched but can't find an anser to this...I have a 98 2.0 auto Espace. It has had intermittent starting problems for a while - the symptom being no initiation power to the starter. Manhandling the inhibitor switch generally got it going again so I think that is a fair diagnosis that there is an internal fault in the inhibitor.

It appears not be remotely user servicable as it is moulded solid. I have been unable to find a used replacement so am stuck with buying new. Unfortunately the renault part is.... wait for it.... £1200 because it comes with a complete front loom. Nice.

There is however a version of switch that comes with a plug to connect to the loom ( rather that being hardwired like mine !) at a mere £60 I thought it was worth a punt, so i now have one ready to splice into the old loom.

Physically it looks exactly the same as the original. The trouble is that it has 6 wires in the loom ( plus an external earth) wheras mine has 7 ( plus an earth).

Grey, green, blue, red, orange are common to both.
My old one also has white brown - whereas the new one has black.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how i should proceed?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
In case anyone is interested and wants a progress report...
I eventually got Dialogys sort of working. On MRTAADIAG3.pdf, (It was in section 23 auto trans I think.) I found a note that replacement switches are for generation A4.1. It claims "one black wire remains unused".
I think that means I now have 2 missing wires!

ETA: Actually under bright light it looks like the "black" wire on the new multi-switch is actually brown ( very very dark brown..).
If that is so then my problem reduces to "all six wires on switch have somewhere sensible to go. But the white wire on the old loom has nowhere to go on new switch."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An update...

I just took the old switch apart with an axe.

I then noticed that the white wire had a different character to the rest. Took the wire apart and it is not actually a wire. I think it is just forms a core for the little loom that runs off the switch.

Doh!

Still dont know if it will work when I splice it in - at least is is physically the same and all the wires match in colour...

Fingers crossed.

cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No - but could do. Wouldn't really be any use though. The component is solid molded in plastic around the wires and switch. I guess a picture would save anyone else the effort of cleaning up the splinters of plastic from all over their garage floor!

Should get time to solder it in over the next couple of days. Then will get a photo of car running.

Thanks for the interest!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have some news.

You CAN save £1150 by fitting the switch that comes with a plug rather than a whole loom in the case of multi-switch failure on a 98 Espace!

I fitted the switch to the loom and the car started first time - everything I can think of works properly.

Just ignore the white wire that isnt a wire, squint so the black wire looks brown and bobs your uncle.

Hope that is of help to someone.

Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello perhaps u could help me my renault espace 20lt auto sometimes wont give a squeek to the starter and then if i try it later it will start up and be ok for a while then same thing happens again light to the dash but nothing to the starter even tho ive not touched it someone said it will be the inhibitor switch ..can you tell me where to find this so next time it doesnt start i can try fiddling with it to see if car will start then i will know that that is the problem t.y...phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts