Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1991 Espace 2.0 petrol. I had to change the water pump. which involves removing the cam belt. I made sure the pulleys were not touched but when I went to start the engine the it wouldn't start and it sounds like the cam belt has slipped.
I can see the marks on the cam and crank pulleys but there is no corresponding marks on the enigne to line up with.

Can anyone help please?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The cam timing mark is on the cover(small pointer cut out).The crank marks are on the flywheel.

Was there any noise when you cranked it over?

It is possible you've damaged the valves if the timing was out.:(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it back fired a bit but i didn't hear any nasty bangs or crunches so hopefully its ok. I can see the notch on the crank pulley and the idents on the cam pulley but i can't see anything to line them up with.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The top cover you've taken off has the cam mark on it.

The crank marks are on the flywheel which you should be able to see from the top of the gearbox.

OR,your belt might have white lines on it,these need to be lined up with the marks on the pulleys.They will only line up when you put the belt on,though,and not after you've turned the engine over by hand.If you get the belt on with the lines lined up,mark the position of the pulleys in relation to the block and the head using tippex or white paint,and then turn the engine over twice by hand.The marks you've made should line up again.The cam goes round at half engine speed,so you need to turn the crank round two full rotations to get everything to line up again.:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Good luck!:)

Any more problems,we're always here to help.:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bum!!:steam:

Engine starts and ticks over but rattles when revved and won't rev over 2500 rpm.

Result - One Espace spares or repair on ebay!!!!:(

I'm now looking at a 7 seater Lag estate. I've had 2 Lags before with no probs anything worth checking on this one??:confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I double checked and the cutouts on the fly wheel and gearbox are lined up ok and the mark on the cam pulley and cam cover pointer are too. Although I suppose the cam could be 180 degrees out as there are 2 indents on it opposite each other???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts