Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was behind my Espace going down the motorway earlier in the week. Travelling at a constant 50mph or there about, smoke was bellowing out out. I can only describe it as chugging, much like trains. It doesn't look normal, but at the same time it wasn't excessive to the point that it was causing problem for cars behind it but like I said it didn't look normal. Was black smoke (I did empty a bottle of Forte Injector Treatment For Diesel into it) but I don't think itn was this that was causing the smoke. Seems to be unburnt fuel so I'm guess a split hose somewhere but I can't check untill my bro come's back with it.

I've also read somehwere that it could be one or more glow plugs not burning the diesel properly, but I thought the glow plugs were only there to help with starting and were redundant after that (I don't know anything about diesels).

Any ideas on what should be looked at and where?

Help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi yes i think for sure that the glow plugs are not used after the car is started.When i was driving for a living HGV i had a Volvo FL6 every morning when started and on gear changing i got a little white smoke the diesel fitter that i worked with in our garage told me that this is unburnt diesel and when the turbo goes its always white smoke that you will get and if some pipes split from around the turbo also, i would love to help more and i hope you get the problem sorted.

A guess would be a split pipe or a lose fitting pipe

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
check intercooler pipes, about 2 inch diameter after turbo.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Donald /Espaced.

The car still aint back so I can't check yet, but are these pipes easy to access? I'm not sure what is what (or what is what for that matter) on diesels!

Do you have any pics to hand?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts