Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the engine from a 2000 Espace 2.2 td, looking at it it has to drop out the bottom will it come out of the front.
Anyone done this or have any advice. Dropping it out the bottom could be tricky, as i would have to raise car quite high.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure yet, but the timing belt has gone, have a option of a good secondhand engine, so thought I might swap it and pull the old lump apart at my liesure. I assume it will have some bent valves, do know how likely piston damage is, as I do not have much experience of diesels.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi, I didnt think you had to drop the engine ... I thought it came out through the front after the rad, A/C, grille and bumper etc were removed .... never done a diesel before though.

Hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The chances are that the belt breaking has only snapped the cam followers and not bent the valves.There is a thread all about this if you don't fancy the job of swapping the engines.

If you do decide to go ahead with the engine change,make sure you replace the belt on the replacement engine before you put it back in!.It'll make the job a thousand times easier and will make sure that you don't have the same problem again in the near future!.Also,consider replacing the clutch assembly too.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link lagdti, did a search but did not find that so good information there.

My intention was to strip out the cam and do a compression test before is took the motor out. Good to know they don't usually bend valves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts