Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a 1999 Espace with a dodgy auto, I also have a 16v manual 2002 model with a crap body.

Could anyone please advise if it is possible to swop the combined engine gearboxes over.

I understand that it is not possible to exchange just the gearboxes but how about the combined engine/gearbox?

Bearing in mind the ECU, pedalbox and gear linkage would have to travel too, I am concerned about wiring the loom and ECU though.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Andrew

L

·
0 Posts
It would be a massive undertaking as the looms are different too, not just the engine loom but the internal electrics to the dash.

Not to mention UCH/BIC and possibly fusebox, and the plip key would also have to go over, you would also need to make sure you kept a record of the the VIN number from the donor in case you ever needed a replacement plip.

Actually you would need to retain at least the green slip from the V5 as Renault wouldn't sell you a replacement plip without it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.
You have confirmed my fears, and am I right in thinking that mating the manual gearbox to the engine is a no go due to possible differing bolt mounting configuration.

Thanks in advance
Andrew

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I'd agree, ithe differences will be what is bolted to the engine.

Paul

Reactions: gyro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh Sorry I should have mentioned the 1999 is a 8v Auto and the 2002 a 16v manual.

Andrew

R

·
0 Posts
Renault in their wisdom have different crank shafts in many of their engines for automatic and manual gear box applications. The PCD's are different so you can't bolt a flywheel to an automatic crank shaft and vice versa with a manual crank shaft and torque converter.

L

·
0 Posts
Think it's safe to say this is a no go lol

Obviously it's not impossible, people swap engines and so on all the time (for completely differernt set ups), but it's a massive undertaking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts