Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
This is my first post here so please be gentle!:)
Today, the gearbox (5 speed manual) in our 1999 2.0 16v Espace (RT-X) lost all drive very suddenly. After checking everything over there was no doubt that the gearbox itself had failed. On draining the oil this was confirmed by the metal debris that was coming out with the oil!:(
Anyway, what i was hoping for is that someone would be able to tell me the gearbox type that i have as i believe that there should be a tag on it some where with a code starting with JB? This tag is nowhere to be seen and the only number visible on the box are casting numbers (7700599940 on the box). I have the box out and need to find a replacement asap and was wondering if the same box was fitted to any other vehicles in the Renault range, and if so which ones?:confused:
If it helps, the first 7 didgits of the VIN number are : VF8JEON
Many thanks in advance!;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can no-one help me on this? I have since managed to find out that i have a JC5 type gearbox (by speaking to Renault) but i am un-able to get a replacement due to the tag being missing to give me the other 3 digits of the code. I found a friendly owner of an identical Espace today who let me check their gearbox for the code tag, but sadly theirs was missing too!
Can anyone out there who has a vehicle matching my description above please take the time to check the tag number on their gearbox? Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
96 Posts
hi my gearbox went in my 1999 espace 50,000 miles i brought 1 off of e-bay £50(renault wanted £1000 exchange) i only matched jc5 i also changed the clutch assembly £100 from eurocarparts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply. It sounds as if you were lucky then! I have had various prices from various places but none can supply without the rest of the code! I picked up 2 gearboxes yesterday, one from a 2000 Clio and one from a 1995 Laguna that was tagged as a JC5. Unfortunatly neither are compatible as they both have different castings on the bell housing! The clutch in the car has only done less than 5000 miles as it was changed when i had the engine fully rebuilt 7 months ago after a cambelt failure due to the auxillary belt shredding and wrapping itself around the crankshaft pulley at 50 mph! This has not been our lucky Espace!

·
Registered
96 Posts
hi you need a jc5 gearbox with the white cover on the end
the laguna box you looked at probably had the black cover
mine was from a diesel scenic
theres one on e-bay Item number: 270125327216

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Laguna box has a green end cover and i didn't realise that the colour was significant! Learn something new everyday. Many thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts