Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Could anyone out there please help,I`ve got an 97` 2.2td espace and it keeps putting STOP up on the dash every few miles.Any advise would be more than welcome. cheers
rich

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
are there any other messages/lights?

have you checked all levels etc?

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Gotta go with espcaed? on this one. The stop light usually lights up along with at least one other illumination, oil or temperature light for example.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no other light

hi thanks for the info but there are no other lights showing on the dash when the stop sign comes on. Do all the dash light light up when you turn the ignition on? becasue these on this espace dont.
cheers

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
You'll have to forgive me as I'm going from memory here;)

On my Lag when the ignition is turned I get the following lights;

STOP
SERVICE
Engine Temp
Airbag
Seatbelt
Handbrake

and probably some more.

I would envisage that you should have at least those above come on when you turn the ignition. It may well be that some bulbs have gone on the dash.

If this is the case I would be seriously concerned that there could be something wrong that needs immediate attention hence why the STOP light is illuminating (obviously this is what you want to know but without the other tell tale light it's impossible to tell).

I assume you have checked all you're levels - Brake Fluid, Coolant etc.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine had the exact same "error" pulled away and beep with stop, then everytime after i braked to a standstill then pulled away again the same again..rinse and repeat.
Found out it was the abs; front right abs wire had come away from the clip and had been rubbing on the inside of the tyre and worn through, so i cut the dodgy bit out rejoined it and it cleared the fault straight away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This may help!

I had the same issue with my 2003 MKiV and it turned out to be the brake fluid. The light would come on now and again and especially going around corners. Turns out that the brake pads just needed replacing.

Symptoms: Stop light coming on intermittantly.
Diagnosis: Brake fluid dropping due to wear on brake pads. Although no warning from brake system that pads were worn down to sensor.
Treatment: Replace brake pads.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: no other light

hi thanks for the info but there are no other lights showing on the dash when the stop sign comes on. Do all the dash light light up when you turn the ignition on? becasue these on this espace dont.
cheers
hi there ive had this.. check the big main fuses in the fuse box at the side of the battery, you will probably find one blown.. solder the break, it will still blow if it needs on either side of the solder bump.. when mine did this it also cut out the radiator colling fan thus makin the car over heat on journeys..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am trying to put my Grand Espace "The Race" (Reg October 2002) onto Spanish plates
All OK except:
The airbag light (left side of display) does not come on for 3 seconds and go out as explained in the manual. It remains unlit
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
iIt is possible that due to the age of your Espace that the tyre sensors have packed up, on my 06 espace I have an intermitant fault that says wheel sensor missing and puncture, this also sounds a beep and the stop light comes on. Check your tyre pressures first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts