Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Espace III 2.2 DT 1999

When the ignition key is removed the engine continues to run and all dash displays continue to show as if ignition was still on.

When the battery is reconnected (engine off) and ignition key is removed, the dash lights up as if ignition is on and the preheat cycle starts.

With the engine off and ignition key at off position, the dash shows everything on, however moving the key between off and first position brings on the heater and radio and off again as you move it back to the off position.

I think this demonstrates the switch on the back of the key is functioning as normal and I wonder are the core engine electrics handled through a relay. If so possibly a relay locked closed.

All thoughts and experience gratefully received.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update to my previous post

So far I have tried disconnecting the following
Power feed to alternator
All connections to heater plug relays
ABS pump/computer
Ignition switch at block connectors
All relays that I could find.

Nothing switched the ignition off.

The problem has become slightly more intermittant. If you attach the battery the ignition comes on. You can start the car with the key and now turn it off with the key. However between 10 to 60 second later the ignition comes back on and heats the heater plugs without user intervention.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem Solved !!

I started checking the wiring loom in the engine bay. Disconnected each block connector in turn until I found a section of the loom which when disconnected shut off the ignition relay. Then pushed and pulled at this loom segment until I found an area which when pulled switched the ignition on and off.

Required the removal of the radiator 'pack' to access the loom immediately infront of the starter motor. The high current lead had a split in the heat shrink tubing at the starter electrical fitting and a small wire had attached itself to the side of the bare metal.

After reinsulating it and the usual laborious rebuild, the Espace lives for another day.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
If my understanding of diesels (which is limited) is correct, a diesel engine will continue to run once started due to it being a compression ignition fuel. In the early days diesels were stopped by the engine being "strangled" which, via a separate switch in the cab, the driver activated, that switch either cut off the air or fuel supply and brought the engine to a stalling stop.
With the introduction of diesel engines into the mass market motor cars, a more user friendly system was adopted so that stopping a diesel engine was a similar operation to turning the key as in petrol engined cars.
Consequently, electrical circuits were installed so that when the key was turned to "off" valves which had been held "open" when the engine was "on" and running, defaulted to "off" to kill the engine.
If a diesel engine failed to stop, the areas to look at would be the shut-down circuits and components.
The above was "as told to me" years ago.
Hope it is of some help or interest!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts