Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
from memory ....

open the tailgate and remove the lower inner 3/4 liners near the rear lights, 3 torx screws i think

behind each side is one screw that helps secure the bumper

open the two covers on the top surface of the bumpers which reveal two more screws

jack the rear of the vehicle, secure on axle stands and remove the rear road wheels. remove the 4, maybe 5 screws reatining the rear inner wheel arch protectors and remove them

working under the rear unclip the plastic rivets which secure the top of the bumper top a rear crossmember

locate the plastic rivet inside each wheelarch and unclip it

the bumper should then prize away from the vehicle, start in each wheelarch, pull the corner of the bumper down and it should unclip, once both sides are done it should then slide backwards and off.

Be carfeul of the parking sensor wiring.

Reactions: neil00001

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having just finished replacing a faulty parking sensor the job is fresh in my mind.. so here is my take on it. Similar to above but different on some details.
The rear bumper is held to the car in 6 places... the two obvious flaps on the bumper cover two screws, there are two screws behind the covers (3 screws) between the door seal and lights and two plastic rivets right at the front corners. All the screws are .20 spline drive self tappers. In addition there are 4 similar screws holding the wheel arch trim to the car under the back corners.
To access the plastic rivets you don't need to remove the wheels - but do need to move the wheel arch liners out of the way.. one screw over the top rear and plastic wing nuts that screw off and push on.
The plastic rivet is a 4-claw with a centre lock pin. push the pin out upward and then wiggle the rivet out with a finger.
Then slide the bumper out to access the sensors.
From my checking the only way to test the sensors is to buy a good one then keep replacing until engaging reverse gives the right effects. This worked for me with an e-bay sourced sensor.
About ten minutes if you know what to do.. about two hours if you start from scratch!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having just finished replacing a faulty parking sensor the job is fresh in my mind.. so here is my take on it. Similar to above but different on some details.
The rear bumper is held to the car in 6 places... the two obvious flaps on the bumper cover two screws, there are two screws behind the covers (3 screws) between the door seal and lights and two plastic rivets right at the front corners. All the screws are .20 spline drive self tappers. In addition there are 4 similar screws holding the wheel arch trim to the car under the back corners.
To access the plastic rivets you don't need to remove the wheels - but do need to move the wheel arch liners out of the way.. one screw over the top rear and plastic wing nuts that screw off and push on.
The plastic rivet is a 4-claw with a centre lock pin. push the pin out upward and then wiggle the rivet out with a finger.
Then slide the bumper out to access the sensors.
From my checking the only way to test the sensors is to buy a good one then keep replacing until engaging reverse gives the right effects. This worked for me with an e-bay sourced sensor.
About ten minutes if you know what to do.. about two hours if you start from scratch!!

Very helpful post - I got the bumper off as described but had a couple of extra plastic rivets under the bumper in the middle - this was a different type that seemingly break by design when removed.

I also found that the outer parking sensors are encased in another plastic moulding which is attached by metal rivets. I guess the only DIY way to remove this is to drill them out, which is a pain for me as I don't have a rivet gun to replace them.

Only renault could have designed this ;)

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
Hi there and welcome.

Can't you remove a bit of trim and get access from underneath & behind?

If the bumper had taken a thump a lot of the plastic clips & mounting points may be broken which will complicate removal, and make refitting a series of nightmares.

Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.