Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Grand Espace IV 2007 3.0L DCi. I really like it but it has a multitude of issues that I am working through, the most annoyying seeming to be the 'check ignition' and subsequent limp mode that seems to be reasonably common. I am fairly used to researching issues and resolving them, trying to avoid spending too much along the way but I am stumped on the following issue and wondered if anyone knows enough to help.

Its a keyless entry system and the cards seem to work ok. The drivers door and boot lock as they should but none of the passenger or rear doors locks.

Other symptoms - all the doors unlock, i.e. if I lock them manually and close them then 'unlock' with the key card they all unlock as normal.
The doors (except the drive) do not make a sound when I lock using the keycard but the deadlock (i.e. double press) does cause the locks to make a sound.

I had the passenger door card off and looked at the lock but deduce anything, and wasn't sure how I would actually remove the lock unit as it was attached to the door handle via the cable and manual unlock keyhole.

Any suggestions as to the possible cause or troubleshooting I could do to get closer to a diagnosis and solution? I read somewhere that the doors except the drivers door is controlled by a separate unit. I doubt that all 3 locks have failed in exactly the same way so I am suspicious its a issue with the controller, or the wiring/fuse/relay but I don't know where to look to test this. I understand that replacing the whole control unit is expensive and requires the dealer to code the thing which I hope to avoid...

Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,185 Posts
Open drivers door look by the hinge, see the rubber boot, check in there for a broken wire..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Are you suggesting that the drivers door control unit (not sure of name) might be preventing the other doors from locking?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I removed the rubber conduit from the driver's door and inspected the wires. There didn't seem to be anything that was disconnected but one wire was kinked differently to all the others. I give it a wiggle/tug and suddenly all locks are working as they should. I am confused (but happy) and I'm guessing I somehow reconnected a loose connection.

It would be good to understand a little more the connection that I have remade so I can make a more permanent solution. Any chance you could explain briefly or point me in the direction of a wiring diagram or resource so I can work it out?

.... and thanks! :)

·
38,185 Posts
If you look how the multiplug fastens to the door pillar, you will see it will open up and separate ..
As the door moves these wires, pull on the small connectors inside the multiplug, ..

( Not supposed to, but they do )..
Now you have it working, if needed , then separate the multiplug, spray with contact cleaner.. and refit..

No wiring diagrams can be put on site, so you could struggle there..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah ok. Bizarre as it is I now have the opposite problem. All of the doors lock but only the driver's door unlocks! :/

Curious since all doors used to unlock fine... I'm guessing I need to check the same wiring loom connection again?

M

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I'd take a guess that the oddly kinked wire, and, possibly others have breaks in them. Really need an multi-meter and a continuity check on them to be sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Adding the the weirdness of this - it seems the issue is being caused by the buttons on the control panel (drivers door) are somehow mixed up... the child lock switch seems to lock and unlock the doors from the outside, and some of the windows are reversed (up is down and down is up). I’m thinking maybe the control module and/or switch unit has been changed at some point and they don’t match up. Anyway I have a fairly ugly work around at the moment that I can unlock the drivers door using the remote, then open the door and flick the child lock switch to unlock the rest of the doors. Locking a just the reverse.

I checked the continuity of the wires in the drivers door connector and all seem to be ok.

So at least I know all my locks are all working and that I can lock my car now. Fairly annoying though...

·
38,185 Posts
Wow,, that sounds like a fun project to sort out..

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,577 Posts
Unlikely that the lock module has been changed especially as it is likely to be integrated into the main UCH fusebox. If you are sure all the wires to the drivers door are fine I would close doors, wait until display goes out on the dash then disconnect battery wait say 3 minutes and reconnect. THere is a chance system will reset, but you will need to reset the auto stops on the windows, reprogram the radio etc and you will need the radio code if it needs one, later Renaults don't need a code as radio coded to the car at time of manufacture.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Mook, did you ever get your central locking problem sorted out? My espace is behaving exactly the same. I am using your work around

1 - 14 of 14 Posts