Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note to admin - company name can be removed if I have violated forum rules.

We have a 2003 3.0DCi Grand Espace with a dashboard that has failed for the 3rd time.

The guys at Cartronix have been fabulous and have said to send it back again for repair. They say it's unusual for a dash to fail repeatedly like this.

So my question is:

Is there another reason why the dash would fail?

When removed it was very HOT but Cartonix say that's normal. It has been suggested by a friend that a voltage regulator maybe to blame - where is it?

Anyone else with an idea?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The circuit board of the dash usually has a voltage regulator built into it. Normally it restricts voltage to no more than 9 or 10 volts for the engine temp and fuel gauges, etc.

I take it you have checked the alternator isn't over-charging.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In reply to my own question (in case anyone is trolling looking for an answer) It seems that the Body Control Electronic Module can be a cause of this amonst other isuues like windows winding themselves down, lights/indicators coming on intermittantly etc.

Plenty of eBay sellers offering repairs to these units.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,588 Posts
Was that the cause of yours,,,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was that the cause of yours,,,
I never go to find out because my Lass decided that a newer version was on the cards.

This solution was given to me by a couple of guys in the trade. Seems that this car is not the only one to suffer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A chip went in mine, rather than the usual capacitor, resistor, break in the solder/track etc. Screen started flickering, then went off for days, then started adding miles in multiples of 50's before dying completely.
Can't remember the company's name that I used on fleabay, but after ordering the chip it came back hunkydory :)
You can buy repair kits that include the resistors and capacitors, but the resistors would be a pain to swap unless you've got the right desoldering kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts