Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been the owner of a 53 reg Espace 2.0T for the past 9 months and until now could not fault it.
I recently started hearing noises in 1st 2nd 5th and 6th. Had the fault diagnoised and was told it was a gearbox fault, and the bearings in the box would need to be replaced.
Reading articles on the internet it would seem that the PK6 box has now been improved with stronger bearings.
Has anyone else out there experienced the same fault with the PK6?

Thanks for you time.
Matt

O

·
0 Posts
I had the gearbox replaced under warranty, certain ones were recalled due to a manufacturing problem. I can't be any more specific but mine was a 53 plate manual 2.0T

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Mine had its gearbox and final drive replaced under a recall ... it wasnt showing any signs of a problem, they just changed it when it was in for a service, about 18mths ago mine is a 54 plate.

Check with your dealer for any outstanding OTS that your car may need.

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The noise was like a train (not a good description sorry), it was during acceleration and deceleration. It was in specific gears, there was no noise in 3rd and 4th.
Thanks for your time

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
There is an internal Renault note that requires the PK6 gearbox on the Espace IV to be inspected for build date/code printed on the casing.

If the box is affected by the note then it should be replaced under warranty..

Again a known problem within the network... Go to your dealer and question them about it!

·
2,311 Posts
There is an internal Renault note that requires the PK6 gearbox on the Espace IV to be inspected for build date/code printed on the casing.

If the box is affected by the note then it should be replaced under warranty..

Again a known problem within the network... Go to your dealer and question them about it!

That must explain why mine was replaced without suffering any obvious fault ... nice to know my dealer was on the ball :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having the same problem espace IV 2.2 diesel manual, very low level (but noticeable) whining noise when in 5th and 6th gear and disappears when moving back into 4th and below, its a 53 reg, any help would be gratefiully received.

·
2,311 Posts
I'm having the same problem espace IV 2.2 diesel manual, very low level (but noticeable) whining noise when in 5th and 6th gear and disappears when moving back into 4th and below, its a 53 reg, any help would be gratefiully received.

Hello and welcome tedders, have you spoken to your dealer about this problem? and had OTS and recall work checked that it has been done .... its the place to start!

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have spoken to renault and they say it would be better to have it in and look at it, How would I gop about having OTS and recall work checked on the car.........indeed what is OTS work, what does it stand for.........sorry to be so dumb.

·
2,311 Posts
I have spoken to renault and they say it would be better to have it in and look at it, How would I gop about having OTS and recall work checked on the car.........indeed what is OTS work, what does it stand for.........sorry to be so dumb.
OTS is the recall/warranty work done by Renault dealers and fixes all sorts including engine management firmware, ABS firmware as well as for example PK6 gearbox recalls, mine was swapped out when the car was only a few months old, the PK6 gearbox is a known problem area.

Has the work been done?, this can be checked by any Renault dealer against the Renault UK database.

If it were me I'd let Renault look at the car first and await the RCS decision before allowing anyone else to do anything, as despite what you may read RCS is quite good at "goodwill" claims/work, especially if you have a good relationship with your dealer ... and dont forget to argue the point if they initially state they are not playing ball with you.

hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I would add to the excellent post from Truckbusuk.

You need to ensure you get the correct oil ( which is very expensive) for the gearbox and even just slightly overfilling the gearbox can be catastrophic.

If you use the Forums search facility input - PK6 you should find quite a bit of info , Look for a post by Webcode

1 - 12 of 12 Posts