Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, but after a good troll couldn't get a definitive answer.

It's a late '06 Initiale

Our door handles don't have the 'button' but do have the IR sensor eye-thingys inside the handle where your knuckles go when opening the door.

We have the 3-button Renault cards.

I *think* it once opened hands-free via the boot without pressing the card button, but that might have been me being a numpty.

How can I tell of we have hands-free opening? How does one turn it on/off if you have it?

Cheers

Mike

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Well, on mine I dont pull the handel . a gentle touch of the handel unlocks all the doors. I mean by touching it . and when I close the door and walk away from the car 2 metre aproximately it locks itself and alarm becomes active. Hope this helps

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean on the shiny handle itself, where your thumb might press if it was a normal car. Not on the dented-in but where your knuckles go, if you get me ;-)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I own a Megane that has keyless entry and I'm almost sure that cars with this feature have lock buttons on the door handles.

Your model may be different but I'm pretty sure keyless go requires the lock button

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
The Clio, Mégane and Scénic have the system with the lock buttons on the handles like this:

When leaving the car, this button has to be pressed to lock the car.

The Laguna, Espace and Vel Satis have a different system where the car locks as you walk away - there are NO lock buttons on the handles.

So - Your Espace DOES have Hands Free locking as the card has 3 buttons. Your doors will unlock when the infrared sensors "see" your hand, or if you try to open the boot (your weren't being a numpty :d). The indicators will flash once as it happens. To start, you don't need to insert the card and to lock, just walk away from the car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks MéganeDynamique,

So how does one turn it on? If the hardware is there, it's not currently working.

Or do they build the sensors into cars that don't have it as an option?

Cheers

Mike

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Ok, I have an 07 plated Espace Initiale, with keyless entry etc. It works quite simply. If when you leave the car and you press the button on the remote to lock the car then when you return you will need to press the unlock button on the remote. Now this is how to get the keyless entry to work/reset. You now need to start the car once the car has been started this is suppose to reset the system (as per the handbook description). Then stop the car remove the key leave the car without pressing any of the buttons on the remote closing the doors. walk away from the car a short distance will do give it a couple of minutes & then ( on mine ) it folds in the mirrors flashes the indicators beeps the horn & locks the car. Keyless entry is now set. When you return to the car put your hand to open the door the sensor picks up your hand & immediately unlocks the car without the need to press any buttons on the remote. Leave the remote in your pocket or buried in your handbag like my wife does ( for all you female members: ) ) The system should now work. The thing is once you use the remote to lock or unlock then this basically disarms the keyless function, you also don't need to place the key in the slot as long as it is in the car somewhere behind the steering wheel the the car will start. If someone does press the remote then simply fire up the engine just for a minute then the system is reset. Simply walk away from the car & it should then lock etc.

Hope this helps:d

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone, I am new to joining the forum, but I have found reading both interesting and informative. I am hoping that I might get help with my Espace hands-free system via this thread. My car is a 2.2dci 1V with hands free fitted ( it has been working fine) but it has stopped operating altogether. The locking/unlocking works as it should via the keycard only . . also the keycard has to be inserted into the slot to be recognised. My question is, could this be "keycard related ? (the red led appears not to be lighting up ((new battery)) ? or is it an on-board fault ? I suspect it isn't one of the aerials as the whole system is down - maybe a fuse or relay ? I'm praying for a cheap fix having recently endured a turbo failure and all that goes with it !! I want to love my car again !! Thankyou in anticipation . . regards Glenn

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Clio, Mégane and Scénic have the system with the lock buttons on the handles like this:

When leaving the car, this button has to be pressed to lock the car.

The Laguna, Espace and Vel Satis have a different system where the car locks as you walk away - there are NO lock buttons on the handles.

So - Your Espace DOES have Hands Free locking as the card has 3 buttons. Your doors will unlock when the infrared sensors "see" your hand, or if you try to open the boot (your weren't being a numpty :d). The indicators will flash once as it happens. To start, you don't need to insert the card and to lock, just walk away from the car.
My 2010 Megane DOES have lock buttons on the handle and still locks as you walk away. Apparently if you have forgotten to close any windows before leaving the car, pressing the lock button (bearing in mind that touching the handle will unlock it again) will close the windows and lock the car. I haven't put this to the test (it's in the handbook). I think there must be a number of variants of the system and it's hard to tell which is which just by looking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts