Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I knew it ... I mentioned in a previous post that it had been several weeks ... nearly 3 months since the bus had been in the dealers .... spoke too soon ......

Last night while filling up with fuel at Tesco's, a god almighty crack was heard .... and a large chunk of rear coil spring shot out from under the car ..... yup... rear coil failed.

Jacked up the car and removed the wheel ... confirmed the 1st bottom coil was missing from the O/S rear coil spring.

I was pised-off big style .... but a quick look at the other side told a much worse story, it also had the bottom of the coil missing ... TWO BROKEN REAR COILS :( ....

How did it happen .... ?

Age of car - 30mths - still under warranty (I await the dealer discussion on why they are not covered)
Mileage - 17000miles
Over loaded - 3 kids under 12 ... I dont think so .....
Off Roading - Glasgows roads are not any worse than the rest of the country.
Overloaded towbar - nope, bike carrier only ... max weight 72Kg including the bikes and the rack.

Its in the dealers right now .... parts not in stock (big surprise there .... parts are never in stock :yawn: )

I'll keep you up to date .....

Has anyone else had rear coil springs fail on an Espace IV?

:( :( :(

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weird both going like that, Cant see how they are not covered by warranty...
I really hope I dont have an arguement, but I heard mutterings about road springs not being covered as failure was "fair wear and tear" .....
My parting comment to the RTE was .... "and by what stretch of the imagination does 30months and 17000 miles constitute fair wear and tear".... the car is a 7seater for goodness sake and its suspension cant cope with 3 children ..... think positive ...... think positive

:(

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
does that not come under "fit for purpose" cos I dont think that they should fail as soon as they have done, or even why they should fail at all.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I really hope I dont have an arguement, but I heard mutterings about road springs not being covered as failure was "fair wear and tear" .....
My parting comment to the RTE was .... "and by what stretch of the imagination does 30months and 17000 miles constitute fair wear and tear".... the car is a 7seater for goodness sake and its suspension cant cope with 3 children ..... think positive ...... think positive

:(

All will be well, Renault will pick up the tab I am sure.. If not it is going to be a sore one me thinks ...Just think what could have happened, They always seem to go when stationary ? It must have given you a bit of a fright tho.

Regards

Ottoman

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope your right Otto, I'd just come back from Torness ... pressing on hard, I'm now glad there was now one else with me .... or it/they had popped at 85'ish not sure what would have happened :( .

Fright ... the guy behind me at the pumps said I jumped three feet, and honest what a bang/crack it made.

I'll find out tomorrow .... less of the negative waves me thinks ...... think positive thoughts:)

Nice Renault dealer .... nice man, very nice man.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
God thats bad i would fight your corner,keep us posted cheep metal there using nowadays bring back British Steel:d

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the dealer phoned ... car is ready for collection ..... no mention of funds... looking good!

Arrived at the dealer, car indeed ready and car has been valeted ... quite day in the service dept me thinks :rolleyes: ...

So who paid for the springs, and rear mounts? ... surprise, surprise RENAULT picked up the bill under warranty without a squeek. :d

I spoke to the RTE I had previously spoken to and he said its the first one they had seen at that dealership, and it more commonly seen as a Clio2/3 problem, but added that Renault warranty had wanted the parts returned to them for further examination along with the lower rear cup mounts, hence the replacement of those parts as well.

A result without an arguement ... must have been all the positive waves coming from Ottoman ... Cheers. :)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Well the dealer phoned ... car is ready for collection ..... no mention of funds... looking good!

Arrived at the dealer, car indeed ready and car has been valeted ... quite day in the service dept me thinks :rolleyes: ...

So who paid for the springs, and rear mounts? ... surprise, surprise RENAULT picked up the bill under warranty without a squeek. :d

I spoke to the RTE I had previously spoken to and he said its the first one they had seen at that dealership, and it more commonly seen as a Clio2/3 problem, but added that Renault warranty had wanted the parts returned to them for further examination along with the lower rear cup mounts, hence the replacement of those parts as well.

A result without an arguement ... must have been all the positive waves coming from Ottoman ... Cheers. :)
Great result eh, I am glad it worked out fine for you just a bit concerning that a car of that age and mileage should require a repair like that, As you see quite a few Espace's flying up and down the motorway fully laden with the Family's most precious assets strapped inside ...Kids, Really glad it all worked out tho no arguments or long drawn out process before any resolution found.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
78 Posts
My Espace has done almost 70,000 miles (its an 05 plate) and not had anything at all like this.

I cannot see anyway this could not be under warranty...

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Espace has done almost 70,000 miles (its an 05 plate) and not had anything at all like this.

I cannot see anyway this could not be under warranty...
Hi NicWood, they usually hide behind "fair wear and tear" I has a similar issue with my last Espace where the springs were diagnosed at 50K miles and 3years as weak ... Renault Extended Warranty refused the claim, I had to get an engineers report ... they still refused, eventually after moaning at the dealer and RCS they picked up the bill between them, but it was a struggle .... suspose I was just looking on the dim side because of past experiance.

Still all fixed ... shouldnt say it but thats nearly 3-weeks ... DOH!
:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts