Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share some pics of my lowered 2006 Espace IV DCi 175 courtesy of 30 two foot squared paving slabs! lol

Glad to report that whilst the engine didnt even blink, i am happy that its back to normal ride height as it flobbered about like a ship on the drive home! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good to see it can hold a tonne of weight and not have the engine blink!

We bought ours for Camping so expect it to be pretty heavy when we do go

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i have no idea what the total weight was but the engine felt like it could be pushed much more.

Im thinking about a proper custom remap to increase the power and torque even more, just wondering if the clutch will take it!?

Im saving for the lowering kit linked above first though.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,563 Posts
a standard 600mm x 600mm x 54mm paving slab weighs about 50kg

you had 30 of them in your car = 1500kg

which is 1.5 tonnes of dead weight, good effort :grin2:

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, it actually looked pretty good and didnt bottom out at all despite all the weight, wouldnt like to have an accident with all that on board though!

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,776 Posts
I've had 40 18" slabs in back of Kia, dropped her about an inch 0:)
And 300plus bricks in boot of Scenic.... which did lighten steering a tad 0:)

The things we do to our cars :surprise:

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wheel gap at the back is usually about 4 inches on mine hence the interest to lower it since i spotted the kit with shortened dampers to match the lowering springs. its only a 35mm drop tho so I might ask if they can supply the dampers only and get 50-60mm lowering springs from elsewhere.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,563 Posts
this time of year I am usually in Fort William ( Scotland) helping out with the Scottish Six Days Trial, after 10 years I decided to give it a rest, but as carrying heavy stuff in vehicles not built to carry them.
Take one of these:-

now put 38 jerry cans of fuel in the back, 10 litres of two stroke oil, 40 litres of water, a huge putoline gazebo and two people in it, you will find yourself wheelying down the road, tank slapping round corners and in a whole world of hurt when you have to go cross country to get to the refuel point for the trial like this

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this time of year I am usually in Fort William ( Scotland) helping out with the Scottish Six Days Trial, after 10 years I decided to give it a rest, but as carrying heavy stuff in vehicles not built to carry them.
Take one of these:-

now put 38 jerry cans of fuel in the back, 10 litres of two stroke oil, 40 litres of water, a huge putoline gazebo and two people in it, you will find yourself wheelying down the road, tank slapping round corners and in a whole world of hurt when you have to go cross country to get to the refuel point for the trial like this

You should jack it up like they do in the states Monster truck style!

·
Registered
27 Posts
a standard 600mm x 600mm x 54mm paving slab weighs about 50kg

you had 30 of them in your car = 1500kg

which is 1.5 tonnes of dead weight, good effort :grin2:
Bloody hell that is a lot of weight! lol

I wouldn't want to lower ours... The speed bumps round here are bloody vicious!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts