Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 2 litre inj Espace J7R that has a persistent misfire despite fitting new plugs, leads distributor cap and rotor arm and lambda sensor. A compression test showed no problems either. Fuel consumption has also suffered. When it is warm it has full power and will idle without stalling but still with a misfire. When it is cold I have to keep the revs high just to keep it running and there is a distinct lack of power where I have to slip the clutch to get up even a gentle slope. After a couple of miles it gradually gets better. I have looked for a MAP sensor to try a replacement that the manual says should be on the left OR right hand side of the engine bay connected to the inlet manifold by pipe but there is nothing. There are only Three tubes connected to the inlet manifold that I can see, one goes to a sort of metal capsule mounted under the inlet manifold and the other tube disappears to the rear of the engine bay and underneath the steering rack. The third one goes to the idle control valve. The car is dual- fuel (lpg) with a lambda controlled system and the above symptoms are WORSE when running on petrol. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Graham
Not sure if my mk3 Espace (F3R engine) is anything to go by, but my probs sound similar to yours (mine's just petrol injection).
Having checked the obvious electrics, including MAF and MAP sensors, I've been advised to replace the coolant temp sensor - the one which is connected to the EMU. This one's a white plug with 2 connector pins. There's another (green) also fitted into the same thermostat housing which has 3 pins and connects with the dashboard temp readout.
I've got a white sensor on order and should have it fitted by the weekend. I'll let you knows if it makes any difference.
Stephen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Graham
Not sure if my mk3 Espace (F3R engine) is anything to go by, but my probs sound similar to yours (mine's just petrol injection).
Having checked the obvious electrics, including MAF and MAP sensors, I've been advised to replace the coolant temp sensor - the one which is connected to the EMU. This one's a white plug with 2 connector pins. There's another (green) also fitted into the same thermostat housing which has 3 pins and connects with the dashboard temp readout.
I've got a white sensor on order and should have it fitted by the weekend. I'll let you knows if it makes any difference.
Stephen
Thanks for that Stephen, in the apparent absence of MAP or MAF sensors on my vehicle my thoughts were beginning to turn towards coolant or air temp sensors- I just wasn't sure which of the two coolant ones were which, if it is as you say the white one , I'll have a look in daylight tomorrow to track it down. It will be interesting to see how you get on with yours .
Incidentally, does yours have a MAP or MAF sensor? If so where is it situated?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for your reply Graham

My Espace (S-reg, 2 litres 8-valve petrol) has both MAF and MAP sensors fitted. The MAF sensor is built into the flexible rubber air inlet hose between the air filter and throttle body. The MAP sensor is a remote black rectangular box bolted up underneath the bulkhead but connected to the throttle body by a plastic tube. This works off vacuum, so if there's a leak in the pipe or faulty diaphragm in the senson box then it'll send out duff signals. Mine appears to have no leaks.

Anyway, today I picked up an engine management temperature sensor from Andrew Page's. The Renault part # is 77 00 865 290 (AP part # 55137) at a cost £14.78 incl VAT [see first pic]. It included the rubber O-ring seal (which wasn't fitted to the part I took out!)

Fairly simple procedure - remove the air filter housing top & filter. Disconnect harness connections from both temp sensors (i.e. green & white) but be careful not to drop the springclips into engine bay! Pull out the U-shaped metal clip from the thermostat housing to release the white sensor. About a litre of coolant will pour out - best to let the car cool down first. Wiggle out white sensor and O-ring if there is one. Then put in new sensor/O-ring and reverse the process.

I would say that it has improved the running of my engine under load, but not completely cured the lumpy tickover. There's still an occasional misfire on tickover, which must be an ignition-related thing. But the engine is certainly sweeter and doesn't 'kangaroo' on very light throttle, like it used to.

Please let me know how you get on with yours.

Stephen

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply Graham

My Espace (S-reg, 2 litres 8-valve petrol) has both MAF and MAP sensors fitted. The MAF sensor is built into the flexible rubber air inlet hose between the air filter and throttle body. The MAP sensor is a remote black rectangular box bolted up underneath the bulkhead but connected to the throttle body by a plastic tube. This works off vacuum, so if there's a leak in the pipe or faulty diaphragm in the senson box then it'll send out duff signals. Mine appears to have no leaks.

Anyway, today I picked up an engine management temperature sensor from Andrew Page's. The Renault part # is 77 00 865 290 (AP part # 55137) at a cost £14.78 incl VAT [see first pic]. It included the rubber O-ring seal (which wasn't fitted to the part I took out!)

Fairly simple procedure - remove the air filter housing top & filter. Disconnect harness connections from both temp sensors (i.e. green & white) but be careful not to drop the springclips into engine bay! Pull out the U-shaped metal clip from the thermostat housing to release the white sensor. About a litre of coolant will pour out - best to let the car cool down first. Wiggle out white sensor and O-ring if there is one. Then put in new sensor/O-ring and reverse the process.

I would say that it has improved the running of my engine under load, but not completely cured the lumpy tickover. There's still an occasional misfire on tickover, which must be an ignition-related thing. But the engine is certainly sweeter and doesn't 'kangaroo' on very light throttle, like it used to.

Please let me know how you get on with yours.

Stephen
Cheers Stephen thanks for pics too, yours does look a lot different to mine(a series 2) but will let you know outcome if I get to the bottom of it.
Cheers
Graham

1 - 5 of 5 Posts