Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Car is an Espace Mk2 Petrol.

Problem is the Main Beam Headlights.

Checked the Steering Column Switch which operates the Lights.

Tested for continuity - all seems well with the Switch - from Power in Pin to each of the 3 Pins in the Output Plug.

Side Lights - Dipped Lights - Head Lights

Running separate 12 volts cable to the Head Lights - they work fine.

Problem seems to be somewhere between Switch and Head Lights as with 12 Volts to wiring just beyond Switch - Headlights do not function.

The cables from the Switch to Sidelights is quite chunky - so is cable from Switch to Dipped.

But cable for Headlights is very thin which leads me to think a Relay is somewhere in the circuit - but where?

All Relays and Fuses at Fuse Board OK.

Anyone ever involved in similar situation.

Hope to hear.
Best Rgds.

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
try this link

Al

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you have a wiring diag ?

Al
HI,

Yes I have a wiring diagram - but wire colours quotes are not same as on Car.

Very simple diagram - but one Clue - the wiring shows the Dash light wiring is taken from the Headlight wiring and the Dash Light illuminates when I set Steering Switch to Head Lights - just not the Headlights themselves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
was the link no help ?

Al
Unfortunately not - definitely fuses all OK.

I did learn something - that a Multi Meter can show a good 12.5V current when in fact there is none.

Did not know that and it set all my logic adrift until I read that.

Essentially the Steering Switch goes through the moves and gives all the necessary PIN contacts.as it should.

Even for Head Lights - in that position it Illuminates the Dash light for the Heads etc.which from wiring diagram would not happen if the Head Pin was not connecting at Steering Switch.

Back Lights work through the Sidelight Pin and that stays with a Contact through all other switch positions.

Just Dipped and Head Pins swap contact - depending upon Switch position - Sides Pin stays 'live' for Back Lights to be on.

I have run a separate wire with a switch for the Headlights right now - so at least we are mobile.

Best Rgds & Thnxs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts