Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there im new to the site so hi.
Right the prob i have is that i started my car no probs this morning and stuck it into drive and it moved about 1/2foot downhill and stalled.
then i put the car back into park and tried to start again and all i got was a click from the engine area and no oil pressure lights on the dash as if it was running and the key card was locked in the slot until i hit the stop button again.
i also checked the battery voltage incase it was to low to start but it was just under 12v.
when i put the window down on the driver side it would only go down in 2" segments as if the battery was taken out and needing reset but the radio was ok and not needing the code to be enterd.
i am kinda stuck for ideas on this as am told it could be sumint as simple as a fuse or a diode blown or a faulty starter motor.

sorry for going on abit but i just want to tell you all the details that i know of.

cheers david :confused:

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I mkight be wrong. but it sounds to me like you have problem with imobiliser. can youy lock and ulock the car with your key card? when was the battery in the keycard was changed?

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
the reason you could not remove the car is because it did not know it had cut out, you could start the car even with no battery in the key card. You could just have a dough battery i would measure the voltage while your trying to start it. It could even be cam belt broke (god forbid) and trying to start it could have overloaded the battery resulting in the windows needing reset. The radio require less power so may not needed a code. Check fuses on the battery including the big that's part of the positive lead on some

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i had a booster pack on it when i tried to start it and still same prob and also its a whole new engine been fitted less than 6months ago by renault in glasgow due to a turbo oil seal failure on a moterway :mad:

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
"just under 12v" doesn't sound too good for the battery, you would expect it to give 12.5 - 13.5v if fully charged. (a voltage regulator then limits the output).

Booster packs are not particularly reliable for common rail diesels as they simply don't posses the CCA (cold cranking amps) to spin the engine properly.

Mine is a 3.0 dci so not too up to spec but I am sure I have heard of common problems with the alternator - does yours use the water cooled alt which has been the cause of some derision?

Overnight with a good battery charger would be my first port of call. If that gets it going I would have the alternator checked.

Reactions: campbelljoiners

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i know the battery was gona need changing but checked it a few days ago to see if it was charging and was getting 14.5v when running but al charge the battery and see if that works.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi there everyone thats it all sorted now it was the brushes to my starter that where blown and got it recond and it blown the fuse in the + live feed from the batt to the starter so i need to see where i can get a new one of them i am told its a new wiring harnes or sumint if so do you know how much and where i could get one from?

david

1 - 8 of 8 Posts