Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi happysaks, be careful, some of the MK3 (New Generation Espace 1997 - 2002) had the rail system and these seats wont fit the MK2 which only had the multi-lock system on the floor.
I'm also not sure about the 2nd row middle seat, as it had a different seatbelt method allowing the use of an extra long 3rd row seatbelt to act as a 3-point belt when the 3rd row was not being used. (The long belt has a different mounting and cant be retro-fitted to a MK2 Espace ... I know I tried)

Best thing is to try them out and dont forget to check the seatbelts ... as Renault changed the buckles at several points during production ... so the may need changed over.

hope it helps :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big Thanks
Whaddya know. I have a knackered drivers seat on an RXE i'm doing up. Can I hellers like find a replacement.
Full sets off Phase 3's seem easier to source for some reason.

Cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Trucksbuck
Sorry, not with you. Do you mean that middle seat is different and standard single lapbelt a la Esapce2 wont fit.
Just had a look on eBay and Phase 3 seats still seem to have the 2 fasteners on them.
I'm aware of the rail system but other mountings looked the same on Phase 3 so just wondered.

Cheers in advance.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi Trucksbuck
Sorry, not with you. Do you mean that middle seat is different and standard single lapbelt a la Esapce2 wont fit.
Just had a look on eBay and Phase 3 seats still seem to have the 2 fasteners on them.
I'm aware of the rail system but other mountings looked the same on Phase 3 so just wondered.

Cheers in advance.
Hi happysaks,

The seat :- the middle seat on a MK 3 is different, its got a smaller headrest and 2 guide bars on the seat back to guide the extra long seatbelt when used.

The seatbelt :- the middle seat also works with the std lapbelt, but I'm sure the buckles changed, so you may need to get the MK3 lapbelt as well ... best to check the fit if you can before you buy.

Mountings :- I'm sure if its the multi-point mountings the seats should just fit (dbl check as the MK3 is a wider car than the MK2 therefore the seats may be wider, but I would guess the mountings are correct)
If its the rail versions then they wont fit ... no matter what you do to them.

POI, the MK1 and MK2 phase 1 seats fit the MK2 phase 2/3, but need the seatbelt mountings swapped from the newer seats, as the earlier models were all lapbelts in the rear and used different buckles again.

I guess from the age of your car its a MK2 phase 3

Hope I've made it a bit clearer. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, just a bit of added info to add to the mix, don't know if it will help though! The middle seat, second row on my 1994 Mk2 (phase??) Espace can similarly use the rear most seat bel as a 3 point belt if the rear seats are not in use.

Also, my drivers seat is pretty knackered and uncomfortable so if there is an answer to the question about which driver's seats fit which model, I'd be very grateful also! :)
Cheers,
Graham

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't get your phase and models mixed up.

For info, having found out hte hard way....

The Espace IV, phase one seat 2002-2006 and the Phase two seat 2006-2012 are not interchangeable in any way- none of the internal parts or frame is similar.

I now have a lovely black leather full set in my garage with no car to fit them to!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts