Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 Grand Espace that has recently started to display the message ‘steering locked turn steering wheel’ when trying to start the car. The steering is never locked so I assume the steering lock unit is broken.. does that sound likely?
The car obviously doesn’t start while the message is displayed.

Can anyone let me know how to locate the steering lock unit so that I can replace it?

Thanks

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,085 Posts
We have just had someone with an issue with the connector going to his steering lock,, .
Your steering lock is located in the cowling around the steering column. you will find a square looking block, give the plug that goes to this a wiggle, see if its something simple like that....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Thanks for your help.
I’ve taken off a cover under the steering wheel and can’t see the lock. Do I also need to remove the cover lower down (almost above the pedals). I can’t see how this cover comes off, is it screws or clips?
Thanks

·
41,085 Posts
See if you can locate this,,,..
BIG warning here, the pin going through, this is a left hand thread, so to take the pin out, you have to tighten as such (turn clockwise)

The steering lock pin wont come out if it locks.
So leave the key card in, until the pin is out, this will stop the steering lock coming on,
This is what it looks like

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-MEGANE-SCENIC-ESPACE-ELECTRONIC-STEERING-LOCK-BOLT-8200468517/122328907493?epid=1433962061&hash=item1c7b5efee5:g:Q-kAAOxyOlhS3Wug

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See if you can locate this,,,..
BIG warning here, the pin going through, this is a left hand thread, so to take the pin out, you have to tighten as such (turn clockwise)

The steering lock pin wont come out if it locks.
So leave the key card in, until the pin is out, this will stop the steering lock coming on,
This is what it looks like

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-MEGANE-SCENIC-ESPACE-ELECTRONIC-STEERING-LOCK-BOLT-8200468517/122328907493?epid=1433962061&hash=item1c7b5efee5:g:Q-kAAOxyOlhS3Wug
Thank you, which covers should need to come off to see the unit? I can’t easily see how to get the lower steering column off, do you know if it’s ‘hidden’ screws or clips? Thanks again.

·
41,085 Posts
It's saying upper dash board needs coming off..
Nothing showing in the "Search" tab on how to remove it..
Any chance of a picture of the Dash Then can mark it for you , showing what to take off and in what order,,, .
Its not looking a big job,,, .
But it also involves steering wheel off..
That really is just a guess on what your issue is..
Might be a lose connection on the fusebox or card reader..
Not sending a clear signal..
Everything else electrical working on your car..

Reactions: andrewr4

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A Renault dealer has now confirmed it's definitely the steering lock unit at fault.

I have one being delivered in a couple of days and need to fit it but can't figure out how the covers around the steering column come off. Can anyone let me know where the screws/clips are, or which parts need to come off first etc before I get something wrong?

Images attached.

Thank you

Attachments

·
41,085 Posts
It's saying upper dash board needs coming off..

Any chance of a picture of the Dash Then can mark it for you , showing what to take off and in what order,,, .
Its not looking a big job,,, .
But it also involves steering wheel off..
re read

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've attached another photo but it's not great... can try and get a better 'head on' photo when it's light tomorrow?

The locking bolt seems to come out underneath so why do the upper dash and steering wheel need removing?

Thanks again

Attachments

·
41,085 Posts
Sit in the back if need be. The more you can show the easier to mark.
Just going off the info supplied, and this is saying top of the dash needs to come out...

·
41,085 Posts
Come on, what about the other side,, its a lot of dash to come off..
Full " top of the dash " needs to be removed.

·
41,085 Posts
Yes thats a better view..

Reactions: andrewr4

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just been looking at mine, you can get away with removing the handbrake switch (1 or 2 torx bolts) and pull out the switch panel behind it. This will give you hand access to the torx bolt with the left hand thread. I can confirm it doesn't budge if the steering lock is in the locked position :/

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here is a pic taken through the hole where handbrake, speed limiter switch etc sits. You'll see a small torx bolt silver colour, that's the left hand thread one that needs to come off. I used a torx bit and 10mm spanner. It's an absolute ***** to access but remember this is a Renault so that comes as standard.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
also if i remember correctly the unit must be unlocked i.e powered on for the left hand torq bolt to pull out once undone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts