Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me what size tool i need to remove the sump plug from a 97 Espace 2.2 Turbodiesel? Thanks:eek:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I strongly suspect you'll need an 8mm square adapter.The best sort to get are either the type that are a socket or ones that you can use with a spanner.The universal 8 in 1 adapters are,in general,not up to much.:)

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Definitely a 'square' type - same as the Laguna and also uses the same washer (which you should replace)

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
When I changed the oil and filter on my lag recently the sump washer was a steel one and not copper, the local Renault dealer was feeling generous when I bought the oil filter and gave me a steel and copper washer free of charge:rolleyes: is there any difference between the two washers apart from the obvious answer:)
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
The dealers use to give me the copper washer before, but the last few times (for the 2000 Laguna and the 1997 Espace) they have given me the steel washer (at least i think its steel).

The only different between the two (apart from the material that they are made from) is that the newer ones have a rubber ring in the centre.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sump plug washer

What you are referring to as a steel washer is in fact called a Dowty seal. These are used in the main for industrial hydraulic systems. As has been said it has a rubber insert which was not designed for the temperatures involved with the car engine sump. In short you should only use the copper washer which will not be affected by the heat.

·
Registered
88 Posts
as far i know there are 2 dif sump plug washers
up to 80's part No.7903 062 001 (or 0001 713 800)
80's on part No. 7903 062 003

i wonder if the newer washer is a supersesssion of the 003 copper washer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts