Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there i have bought a 2002 espace 2.2dci priv the tyres fitted to the car are 215/55/r16 93v
i need to replace the 2 fronts does this car need reinforced tyres as i cannot find any info in the manual.
the reason i ask is that i used to have a galaxy which needed reinforced tyres but it told me this in the manual.

anyway any help would be great and also which tyres do you guys go with on your espace and recommendations?

thanks

austin

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Hi i replaced all 4 of mine with Continental Vanco only because I got them cheap (£50each) but I cannot fault them as yet(only done 1000 miles on them) road noise is minimal

Not sure if they NEED reinforced tyres but mine had reinforced on there so replaced with reinforced as advised by my mate at the tyre centre

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi Austin, I believe all Espaces need "reinforced" tyres, if you check the handbook for your car, the info you need is the Load Index number, this is what determines whats a "reinforced" tyre or not .... you say you have currently got 215/55/R16 93V ... I'm not sure but I dont think thats the correct tyre for your Espace, 93V seems low, I'd expect 95V or 97V or higher.

Also I've made an assumption that your car is an Espace III, if is an Espace IV then someone has changed the wheels, all Espace IV Privs had 17" Antares Alloy (5 spoke) wheels fitted as standard, and the tyre size for that is 225/55/R17 101W.
If so, your insurance may be invalid if you have an accident as the tyres fitted are not to the OEM homologated standard or higher.

Double check your handbook on the tyre size stated for your engine size (its usually on the tyre pressure page,) you must maintain the load index or higher regardless of your tyre choice.

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replys yes its an espace III the book says the car needs 225/55/r16 95v but does not state reinforced so am i correct in saying that if i get those size tyres then everything is right?

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
thanks for the replys yes its an espace III the book says the car needs 225/55/r16 95v but does not state reinforced so am i correct in saying that if i get those size tyres then everything is right?

Hi Austin, YES, if you use that size then everything will be OK, I believe anything above 93 index is classed as reinforced or extra load, but it varies with RIM size and PROFILE.

I also believe the word reinforced is used as an easier term to understand than trying to explain what "load index" means and how its calculated.

If you have a look on any of the tyre sites you find a range between 88-99 for the load index for that size of tyre, therefore its important to get the load index figure correct, as it determines the weight or load the the tyre can cope with before the sidewall starts to fail.

Have a read here for more info...... Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible

Hope it helped :)

Edit .... put your car info in your profile, that way it will appear an the bottom of your posts, saves guessing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
hi austin as we drive the same yr and model mine has 95 v on it but diff/ size tyres 225/55/r16 95 v does seem to be the recomend

1 - 8 of 8 Posts