1 - 20 of 452 Posts

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take two.

It's time we had a straw poll on the forthcoming referendum

EU referendum In or Out.

I'm somewhat 50/50 split but wonder how it would go if the vote was next week?

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
23,099 Posts
Take two.

It's time we had a straw poll on the forthcoming referendum

EU referendum In or Out.

I'm somewhat 50/50 split but wonder how it would go if the vote was next week?
I vote out as we are dictated to as to what we can do or don't we should have a mind of us own.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,881 Posts
OUT I voted not to go in and have seen nothing to change my mind, in fact I am more anti now than ever.

·
9,533 Posts
OUT Britain had always had worldwide trading connections and been looked upon as a fringe member of Europe. The EEC has developed into a monster as we knew it would. The Common Market trading platform is now secondary to the Franco-German political ego trip. Its getting dangerous :eek:

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,467 Posts
Did well there H.
Got a Pole to work.

Out please.

My very first foray into voting, I voted yes to joining the Common Market.
But I've never been asked my opinion by a government since, despite the massive changes to the system we joined.

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
26,087 Posts
Like the others I'm for getting out..its was originally for trading only and Ted Heath should have got a dozen eggs not one..9 for staying in..show yourselves yer cowards..lol

OUT

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts
So when did the words "European Economic Community"
Ever mean Government?
I too voted for the "Common Market", not for a pile of Foreigners who now rule us by stealth, after they failed to rule us by War!!!
Soap Box mode OFF.

Reactions: Ralph

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,098 Posts
Take a step back and listen to yourselves.
There are legitimate arguments to be made on either side. You're not making them.

·
9,533 Posts
There are legitimate arguments to be made on either side. You're not making them.
I don't think anyone disagrees with you, but looking at the whole picture the pendulum needle will only fall one side or the other. There is no centre ground option any of us can opt for .. either on this straw poll or to be offered on the national referendum (if it ever happens).

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,253 Posts
i know a lot of very unhappy british ppl (myself included) who have openly stated that if the UK leaves, so will they. the entrenched etonian dogs have run the country ragged and into the ground for thier own personal economic gains.

they have repeatedly failed to enact immigration controls that would benefit the country,(sod the wishy-washy limp wristed liberals, the effect of a national database means criminals wont get such a free reign to run about with impunity, it wont affect the majority of the population, unless you are being naughty) whilst letting every tom-**** & harry from the comonwealth almost unrestricted access to the country.
failing to bring in national ID rules, which they had actually imposed on the rest of the EU after WW2.
failed to maintain co-ordinated digital national police links with the EU to oversea controls on foreign criminals (the blowing up of one of the national fuel reserves at hemmel-hempstead at 05:30 in 2005 didnt help.)

(i went away for 2 years and the entire country has gone to the dogs, on the international stage this and the last government have abrigated thier responsibilities (except for the 12billion (most of which is back-handers back to british and foreign politicians and cronies) from the foreign aid budget)
(rant over)

Reactions: tig16v

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,098 Posts
So do you want to be in or out? Not too clear which.
We tried identity cards in the war and didn't like them much, got shot of them at pretty much the earliest opportunity- you know what happened to the chap who tried to bring them back.
It's the fall-back position of every tyrant to say that you have nothing to fear from surveillance if you have nothing to hide.
You may not have heard of Benjamin Franklin but he made a useful contribution to the debate 250 years ago. Forgive me because it is slightly out of context, being actually about self-government, but it has some resonance.
"Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."

·
9,533 Posts
Does it have to be an "in" or "out" debate. Surely we can stay within the EU and attempt to negotiate terms.
I think it does. The words I've coloured in blue is not really a middle option as various prime minsters have been down this route before with very limited success. And look at the debacle with the negotiations the Greeks have been having. Essentially there was no negotiation. Would the UK be treated any different? ;)

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think it does. The words I've coloured in blue is not really a middle option as various prime minsters have been down this route before with very limited success. And look at the debacle with the negotiations the Greeks have been having. Essentially there was no negotiation. Would the UK be treated any different? ;)
The above seems fair comment to me.

Essentially there was no negotiation. Would the UK be treated any different?
I'm sure we're going to find that out during coming months prior to the referendum. TBH I think DC is going to be banging his head up against the proverbial brick wall. :forehead::forehead:

1 - 20 of 452 Posts