Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
any one know any good companies who do exchange cylinder heads, had a timing belt snap and dont know if the valves are okay but have got the head off and wondered if it would be easier just to swap it rather than start stripping it down

Also , is there a way to tell if the valves have sustained damage without taking them out?

thanks

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
You can usually tell if a valve has hit the piston as it will leave a very slight indentation in the top of the piston.

If your still unsure,you need to take the cams out and tip the head on it's side.Using parrafin (or similar),fill the ports up and see if any of the liquid leaks past the valve seat.Do this for all the valves,and as they leak,mark them so you know which ones are damaged.

If your confident enough to carry out the work yourself,then I'd carry on and repair the head you've got.Complete re-con heads are around the £300-£400 mark,depending on type of engine,so by rebuilding your head,you'll save a decent amount of cash.Valves are typically around £20 each,so see how many are damaged and go from there.

If most of the valves are damaged,it might be worth sourcing a second hand head.Try FindaPart.co.uk - Parts Request.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Try lapping the valves in, this will show if any are bent.

Personaly i would prefer to change the valves as at least then i have peace of mind that i know the head wasn't warped or damaged unlike a new one (Second hand) which could be and cause more problems.

The valves for your engine are around £8 each, they alter in price for inlet and exhaust but its a very small difference.

If you do the work yourself change the valve stem oil seals too (very easy job!)

Need anymore help feel free to ask me on msn.

Barry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Barry, i've decided to have a go, you know me , wont be beaten, not now i'm a renault mechanic...LOL

speak later

Rich

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, i've now stripped the head down and 4 of the 8 valves are bent, easy way to find out is htey need a tap to push them out!.

Now that i'm doing it all myself and getting more confident, i'll replace all the valves and valve seals, (barry - how do you remove the seals?) So what i need is a recomendation of a place to buy valves, seals and new gaskets etc. is there a kit?

also how agressive can i attack the head faces and piston heads to clean, and with what, grit paper 1000? 40?

Advice if poss.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts