Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been searching for a thread which advised on a good company to get an extended warranty.

I'm thinking about getting one for my 02 Scenic, 1.9 Dti. I'm doing a lot of miles, approx 500 a week so I'm thinking it would be a good thing to do.

I purchased a service plan with the car from Arnold Clarke which pays for two years of services but I'm thinking it may have been a better thing to have bought a warranty instead.

Also...

Car is going in for an MOT soon, Arnold have sent me a lovely postcard saying they have pre-booked me a time but I'm inclined not to use them and use Struans in Perth as I've used them before and they never seem too eager to sell you stuff, I also can walk to the garage from my workplace.

I used to have it my old car serviced at the same time and it would pick up stuff before it went in for the MOT. Service isn't due until December and it's with Arnold in Glasgow.

Question is, anything I should do before MOT to help it through, any tips would be gratefully received.

Apologies for girth.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Hi all,

I've been searching for a thread which advised on a good company to get an extended warranty.

I'm thinking about getting one for my 02 Scenic, 1.9 Dti. I'm doing a lot of miles, approx 500 a week so I'm thinking it would be a good thing to do.
The factory warranty's about to run out on the Clio, so we're in the same boat. We bought the Renault Harmony warranty last time around, but while it's comprehensive, it does seem a little overpriced for what it is.

When this was discussed a while back, someone (Vass, I think) mentioned these people. :: Warranty Works we supply Car Warranties at trade prices ::
They're certainly cheaper than Renault, and the only significant conditions seem to be that the repairs can't exceed the value of the car (sensible) and the warranty doesn't cover consumables (but then I've yet to see one that did.)

Bear in mind that even extended warranties tend to be mileage capped too. You're going to need to go for one with a fairly high cap, and that's going to bump the price up.
Apologies for girth.
Oi! Stop that now! :p

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Best advice for a pre-mot check is to ensure all fluids are topped up (including washers), check the bulbs work, and that the washers/wipers function correctly. A visual check of the tyres as well as the seatbelts is always a small amount of time well invested.

1p of prevention = £1 of cure

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Absolutely....

Lights,levels,wiperblades,tyres and seatbelts are all easily checked by yourself before the MOT.

It usually pays to take the car on a decent run using hard acceleration to clear the system for it's smoke test,too.Even though you do a lot of miles,it is possible that if you drive carefully that the car could still fail it's smoke test,so it's best to give it 'a good clear out' before the test.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts