Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
In reply to message from Roy here is a simple guide to installing Folding @ Home on your Linux System.
The best way to get [email protected] installed on your system is to run the scripts provided on the Ubuntu Community site.
These scripts should run ok on most other distros.
Download the tarball:
Open a Terminal and type in the following.

wget -O fah.tar.gz --no-check-certificate "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/
FoldingAtHome/fah_install?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=
fah_install-2008-10-16.tar.gz"

Extract the tarball:
Just type the following into your terminal.

tar xvf fah.tar.gz

Change Directory to where the scripts are
Type the following into your Terminal

cd fah_install

Run the install scripts
You have two choices. you can either install just for your user account . Alternatively you can install for the entire system. If you install for the system then the [email protected] client will run on start up. If you install to your user you can set up a cron job.

Installing to the system:
You will need to run as root to install to the system. If you are going to install to the system type the following into your Terminal

sudo ./install.sh install

Installing to your user account:
To install as your user then type the following in your Terminal

./install.sh install

Telling the installer script what to do:
You will need to answer a few questions ... 32 bit or 64 bit.
You will also have tell the script how many processors your machine has.
You should then see the license agreement and be presented with some simple configuration options.
If you installed to the system an init script will have been created and the client will start at boot. However, you can start it right away by typing the following into your Terminal
Starting immediately after install:

sudo /etc/init.d/foldingathome start

If you installed as a user you will be asked if you want to make a cron job that runs every hour. ( a cron job is similar to a Windows scheduler)
Starting Manually (installed as user):
If you installed to your user account you can start it right away by typing the following in your Terminal.

~/opt/foldingathome/foldingathome start

Thats all there is to it. Not difficult at all.

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
Playstation 3 [email protected] setup

Heres a little guide on how to setup Folding @ home on the Playstation 3 (I'm currently running v3.10 firmware)

Its really straight forward to do, just go to "network" on the XMB, and scroll down to "life with Playstation" (on previous firmware versions there was a [email protected] icon here, but it has now been integrated to run in the background automatically when viewing the channels on "life with Playstation")
click on the icon and this will load life with Playstation.
(install the latest version if prompted)

When loaded you will be presented with the world map, press triangle and click on "configuration", then scroll down to "folding @ home priority" then choose "folding at home expert mode"
(BTW in expert mode, other channels are unavailable)
now you will be able to join our team.
To do this press triangle, click on "current channel" then "identity" then "join an existing team"now enter 51078 in the keypad as this is the Renault forums team number.
You can also change your donor name now, (probably best to use your Renault forums user-name:d)

And thats it:d now to fold, all you have to do is go on life with Playstation:cool: BTW you can switch back from expert to normal mode to view the channels again.

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Re: Playstation 3 [email protected] setup

martyboi, I've just had thought :think:

Is there anyway that you can adjust the CPU usage down-wards away from maximum, if there is & its too late for you to do the edit, please PM me with it, I'll insert it for you..;)

:beer:

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
Re: Playstation 3 [email protected] setup

Thanks Marty, that will be useful
Thanks martyboi. :)

Yet another great post :beer:
no problem guys:cool:

martyboi, I've just had thought :think:

Is there anyway that you can adjust the CPU usage down-wards away from maximum, if there is & its too late for you to do the edit, please PM me with it, I'll insert it for you..;)

:beer:
AFAIK you cannot adjust the CPU usage, from what i gather it adjusts how much is used depending on what you are doing... say if you are playing a music track, then the time to completion will be longer than if not??
you cannot play games, browse the web etc when folding, you can only view the Playstation life channels and listen to music and message friends.
I have been turning it on at night, and leaving it to fold while I'm in bed:rofl:
you can set it to shutdown automatically after the current workload or a specific time so i have been doing that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts