Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Found out today that our Scenic with what I believe to be an F4P 760 engine has died. We're going to be doing a transplant to another F4P, but I was hoping someone could verify compatibility for me?

I've seen a few 770 and 771 engines on eBay and want to know if this will be compatible or not?

The car is a 2001 Mark I Phase II Scenic 1.8 16v.

Many Thanks
Richard

R

·
0 Posts
I think you will find that both those engines are from a Laguna.

The 771 is for an automatic car and that means that the crank shaft mounting hole PCD's are different to that for a manual gearbox application so you wont be able to swap flywheels or torque converters from one to the other.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
I fitted a scenic engine in a laguna so theoretically it is possible but as pointed out auto and manual flywheels are said to be different never seen myself so not 100% sure on that but the core engine is the same and will fit

other thing to watch is whether it has the dephaser or not as both need to be the same i would think to keep ecu happy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.
Are you saying that you don't think the 770 and 771 will work, or are you saying that you think the 760 isn't going to be the engine I have?

I found this PDF (http://www.remyinc.eu/PDF/Test_PDF/Product data DRA0077.pdf) which is a part listing for an alternator, and it lists Meganes with the F4P 760 engine, and our V5 reports the car as a Megane Scenic hence the collerlation in my mind.

I guess the best thing to do is look at the engine myself, but that's easier said than done.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Hi Richard,

The 1.8 Meganes were fitted with either the F4P.720 or F4P.722 engine.

The F4P.760 was fitted to the pre-'01 Laguna.

None of these three engines has a 'dephaser' VVT pulley.

Do you know exactly what's happened to your engine?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Richard,

The 1.8 Meganes were fitted with either the F4P.720 or F4P.722 engine.

The F4P.760 was fitted to the pre-'01 Laguna.

None of these three engines has a 'dephaser' VVT pulley.

Do you know exactly what's happened to your engine?
Initially it was a suspect failed crank pulley, so we bought a replacement. Mechanic friend came over yesterday to fit it and then discovered that it's actually the crankshaft which is damaged and means that the pulley can't be fitted properly.

Thank you very much for the engine codes. Just to confirm then, the F4P 720 and 722 engines used in the Megane Scenic didn't have VVT so I don't need to worry about the Dephaser?

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Just to confirm then, the F4P 720 and 722 engines used in the Megane Scenic didn't have VVT so I don't need to worry about the Dephaser?
Yes, no VVT on the .720 or .722 engine, so no dephaser. However, these engines are not that common, and the later Laguna 1.8 VVT engine may not 'mate' with the Megane ECU :(

If the crankshaft pulley has failed with the engine running, it is very likely that the cam timing has been lost, with nasty piston-meets-valve consequences.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've read on here previously that the Haynes manual doesn't even include the 1.8 16v engine, so I was afraid that it's not a common model :(

I called Renault and they confirmed I have a F4P 722, so I'm going to have a look online later once at home this evening to see if I can find any. I know there is some 770 engines on there, but I don't recall seeing any 722's :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And yes S80, the engine was running when it happened, although I shut her down within about a minute.

Thanks for all the advice and information.

R

·
0 Posts
If you are not sure what engine you have check the engine number which is on the block to the right of the dipstick just above the TDC setting pin hole. In the photo you can just make out the engine number and type above it. It's for a 2.0 but yours will be in the same place.

You could probably fit any of the engines you have mentioned but it depends what the differences are as to how much mucking about your going to have. You could in theory fit an automatic engine into a manual car but first you would have to swap the crank shafts over.

As S80 mentions the engines you have found don’t have VVT with a dephaser pulley which isn’t an issue if your engine doesn’t have it fitted either ?

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Only half-serious, Richard - his listing for the gearbox is £100, which is about twice my budget :-(

Whatever engine you fit, I would strongly suggest fitting a new timing belt kit (and ideally the 'alternator' drive belt + tensioner) for peace of mind.

Good luck with the repairs,
David.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just as a final question.
I found this engine on eBay last night:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-Renault-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b7d9d78c

It says its a 1.8 16v F4P . Unlike the link from S80 which said it was a 772 from a Megane, this one says its a 770/771/772 from a Laguna.

Are the engine mounts etc going from a Laguna to a Scenic going to be the same? This engine has 47k instead of 60k on it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I think the listing has a spot of dyslexia, and should read F4P 770 771 772

That engine is from a post-'01 Laguna, and will have the dephaser gubbins (the technical term!).

As mentioned previously, the Megane 1.8 is F4P.720 or .722

Richard, if you're anywhere near Cambridge I'd be happy to lend a hand!

David

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the listing has a spot of dyslexia, and should read F4P 770 771 772

That engine is from a post-'01 Laguna, and will have the dephaser gubbins (the technical term!).

As mentioned previously, the Megane 1.8 is F4P.720 or .722

Richard, if you're anywhere near Cambridge I'd be happy to lend a hand!

David
I just realised my own mistake - 772 and not 722.

Thanks S80.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Hi Richard,

I should have taken the trouble to read your earlier post regarding the failed crankshaft pulley :eek:

It would appear that the timing may not have been lost, so long as the pulley centre part never came loose from the crank. If this is the case then a) you have been very lucky, and b) you might not need a new engine.

Just what has your mechanic friend said about the pulley - and how exactly has the crankshaft been 'damaged'?

If the bolt securing the crank pulley has not been touched so far, then there is still a chance of salvaging your engine.

Whatever you do, don't attempt to start the engine with the pulley bolt slackened. In fact, don't do anything with it just yet!

Oh, and regarding the auxiliary (alternator) belt - the correct part is a 5-peak belt, even though the pulleys it sits on have 6 grooves. The innermost (closest to the engine) groove must be kept 'clear'.

Here's hoping,
David

1 - 17 of 17 Posts